Q. What does tear drop cells in CBC report indicate?

I just saw your pin about tear drop cells. I am trying to understand the meaning of this. Recently my 4 years old son had a CBC and the RBC was abnormal, he has tear drop cells 1+, schistocytes 1+, crenated cells 1+, stomatocytes 1+, schistocytes 1+, macrocytic 1+, microcytic 1+, poikilocytosis 1+, anisocytosis 1+. Please help me to understand this.

#

The presence of crenated red blood cells, schistocytes, tear drop cells and stomatocyte is suggestive of hemolytic anemia. The G6PD deficiency, spherocytosis, immune hemolytic anemia, etc., are some of the causes for that. Microcytes and macrocytes could be due to anemia. It is called dimorphic anemia which might be due to iron or B12 deficiency. I suggest you investigate further with full CBC, reticulocyte count, serum LDH estimation, DCT for primary work up. You can Consult a nearby pediatrician for detailed evaluation.

|