Complex Partial Seizure

A seizure that does not arise from the entire brain, but only one lobe of the brain is called a complex partial seizure. It is commonly seen in patients with epilepsy, but can also occur in patients with cerebral palsy. The symptoms include staring blankly, unresponsiveness, screaming or crying, hallucination, and confusion. Psychological trauma, extreme stress, autism, and other brain conditions can result in a complex partial seizure.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why did the urine culture come negative when the urine analysis was positive?

Query: Hello doctor, I had acute kidney failure in the past, probably a couple of months ago, from a UTI and lithium toxicity. They cut me off all my medications, and when I got home from the hospital, the hospital gave me two doses of lithium instead of one dose of extended-release, which caused me to hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi there, Welcome to Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. Actually, culture is more accurate than routine microscopic examination of urine. So we can consider it negative; if you do not have any symptoms of UTI (urinary tract infections), then you can stop antibiotics...  Read Full »

Why does my 58-year-old father suddenly scream at night?

Query: Hi, My 58-year-old father suddenly screamed last night. While we were all asleep, he suddenly got up from the bed, his eyes were closed, and he was shouting. He lifted and threw wooden furniture. We then shook him and tapped on him, after which he became conscious. He was not himself at that time. H...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. It is difficult to diagnose from the history above, but your father may have a sleep disorder or complex partial seizure episode. I suggest you perform an EEG (electroencephalogram) to rule out any organic causes for it. I h...  Read Full »

I have a problem with involuntary thumb movement. Am I at a risk of developing fits?

Query: Hi doctor,I am taking antiepileptic medicine Selzic 300 for three years now, and I have a problem with involuntary thumb movement. My doctor suggested Clonazepam along with Selzic, to control this thumb movement. From the last three years, I am fits free, and at the age of 5, I had meningitis. Plea...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You are saying that you are fits free for last three years. I need more detail. Since when you started to have involuntary thumb movements? Is it on one side or both sides? How long does it last? Were you not able to control it? And how frequent does it happen? What ...  Read Full »

My fiance is having seizures with tremors frequently. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, This is a question regarding my fiance. I am very worried as he refuses to visit a doctor. The symptoms are the following: Right-hand tremors, seizures sometimes when he is on the couch and relatively minor ones and mumbling nonsense during night-time when he was laid down like he is s...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand the issue. It is not because of wine. Most likely, the symptoms he is having is suggestive of seizures; complex partial seizures. High likely, the seizure is because of brain diseases. I would suggest you get an MRI brain done. His further treatment will dep...  Read Full »

What kind of side effects will Epilex chrono cause in a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 8 years old and got a stroke for the first time that lasted for 25 minutes. After EEG, we came to know that she had a partial seizure. Doctor prescribed her Epilex chrono 200. Is it fine? She is complaining of occasional headaches for the past two years.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Surely, I would like to answer this with my best concerns but for that what actually happened during the event? Did she have involuntary movements like head turning, uprolling of eyeballs, frothing from the mouth, and loss of consciousness? Seizure and stroke are entirely...  Read Full »

Why do I have memory loss and feeling of deja vu after seizure?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having the following symptoms for the past three years. It includes very overwhelming feeling of doom, hand is frozen and unable to move, rising feeling in stomach making me feel sick, swallowing repeatedly, memory loss of what I was thinking about and also general memory loss after ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your description of the episode is typical of partial seizure. It is likely to be complex partial seizures because of the deja vu (already experienced feeling) and memory loss. Since you are having recurrent seizures, you are suffering from epilepsy. It needs to be inv...  Read Full »

Can complex partial seizures be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently my neurologist diagnosed me with complex partial seizure. However, after taking two different medications and increase in doses has not helped. So here is my story: several years back I had been going through an extreme amount of stress. I had some migraines: occasional ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Based on the description of these episodes, I agree with your doctor that these episodes seem to be related to complex partial seizures. I would like to directly review your EEG (electroencephalogram) reports if you can upload it. A normal EEG is not surprising...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.