Q. Is Epilex chrono recommended for partial seizure in an 8-year-old kid?

Dr. Ajay Panwar
Published on Jan 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2020

My daughter is 8 years old and got a stroke for the first time that lasted for 25 minutes. After EEG, we came to know that she had a partial seizure. Doctor prescribed her Epilex chrono 200. Is it fine? She is complaining of occasional headaches for the past two years.

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

Surely, I would like to answer this with my best concerns but for that what actually happened during the event? Did she have involuntary movements like head turning, uprolling of eyeballs, frothing from the mouth, and loss of consciousness?

Seizure and stroke are entirely different things and their treatment is different. Please do not just mention stroke. Please tell what happened to her? I shall interpret myself if it was a stroke or a seizure. I hope you got it. Please ask a follow-up question with the required information.

| 

Of all the mentioned symptoms, frothing from the mouth was there during that event. Her heartbeat was high with high body temperature. Within the duration of 20 minutes, we ran to the doctor and given the injection, then she closed her eyes and got sleep. IV glucose was given to her. Doctor asked for a CT scan and EEG after that. He also gave few medicines such as Dolo and Vomisave with instructions, not to be used unless required. Please find the attached test reports.

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Do not keep saying it as a stroke. It is a seizure and not a stroke. As far as the medicines are concerned, if she would have presented to me as an OPD patient, I would not have preferred to put her on Epilex Chrono (Sodium valproate) due to its side effects, particularly in young and adolescent girls. It can cause significant weight gain, hair loss, tremors (these side effects can be very troublesome and depressing for young girls at times) and polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) which may interfere with the reproduction capability after the marriage.

Rather, I would have gone for alternative drugs like Levetiracetam or Oxcarbazepine which have better side effects profile. Also,MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain with epilepsy protocol should be done here to see if any intracranial lesion exists as such.

| 

Is my mother's epileptic treatment going the right way?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a patient of epilepsy for 22 years. Earlier she was diagnosed as GTCS (generalized tonic-clonic seizures) and CPS (complex partial seizures) and given Eptoin 100mg BD at first, then Zeptol CR 400mg BD with Cloba 10mg for fits, convulsions, and senselessness. But still, it...  Read Full »

Can body absorb heavy metal from new body piercings?

Query: Hello doctor, My symptoms started a few months back. The symptoms are mostly neurological, eyesight, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and nausea. I am currently taking 500 mg Depakote ER and 150 mg Lamictal ER daily for seizures and have been taking them for several years now. My questions are not rel...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms a side effect of Epanutin?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel I can see everything around me at the same time, although I am focusing on some other thing. When someone sitting next to me or across me makes any movement like scratching their nose, shoulder, knee or even twitch an arm, then I quickly look in that direction and back. I fee...  Read Full »