Q. Can urine culture come negative while the urine analysis is positive?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I had acute kidney failure in the past, probably a couple of months ago, from a UTI and lithium toxicity. They cut me off all my medications, and when I got home from the hospital, the hospital gave me two doses of lithium instead of one dose of extended-release, which caused me to have a grand mal seizure. I had another UTI recently (cloudy urine, burning while urinating, nausea, and constant irritation), so the urinalysis came back positive for a UTI, but the culture came back negative? I have seizures where I am fully awake and alert, but I am shaking vigorously, but I can still talk, walk, and think? There called partial seizures. I am worried I might have issues again, but I do not have any symptoms besides my seizures and the UTI symptoms. I am taking antibiotics, Lamictal, Lutera, Intuniv, and Buspar. Please help.

#

Hi there,

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. Actually, culture is more accurate than routine microscopic examination of urine. So we can consider it negative; if you do not have any symptoms of UTI (urinary tract infections), then you can stop antibiotics, and further, you need to consult a neurologist for seizures. Actually, kidney failure causes fluid impairment (serum electrolytes) that might cause a seizure. Please answer the following,

1) Do you have any symptoms of UTI currently?

2) Such as a burning sensation while passing urine or frequent urge to pass urine?

Please let me know and send me your blood reports if you have them with you.

|