Q. How to identify an ectopic pregnancy?

I have attached my report. Can you please have a look and let me know is it a cyst or an ectopic pregnancy?

#

I have checked the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Though the follicles in the left lower side are those of an ovarian follicle, I am afraid it cannot be commented up on accurately with serum beta-hcg (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels.

You have not mentioned if it was a transvaginal or an abdominal scan?

Revert back with the asked details to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

It was a transvaginal scan. Sonographer did say it was cyst, but looks so much like a sac. I am scared. I was 5 weeks 5 days from my LMP at the time of scan. The blob on the left as we look at it was dismissed as 50/50 chance. Could I ask your opinion on the sacs? Sonographer said two sacs and one pseudo or fluid pouch. What are your thoughts?

#

The fallopian tube as can be seen attached with the ovary appears to be empty.

The fluid pocket can be a follicle from the other ovary. Because, there is no decidual reaction which can be seen around it. Had it been an ectopic, decidual reaction should have been present.

However, the best way to rule out ectopic pregnancy would be to undertake a serum beta-hCG test.

If the hCG levels are less than 5 ng/dL then you are not pregnant at all and the fluid pouch is probably another follicle from other ovary.

If it is more than 5 ng/dL and uterus is empty then this is definitely an ectopic pregnancy.

Another best way would be to opt for a targeted scan, which can specifically target fallopian tubes and ectopic can be ruled out, but serum beta-hCG test would be a must.

The result shall be conclusive. So, please do not forget to get that done. From my end, do get further investigations done as ectopic cannot be just something one can neglect.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|