Q. My 4-year-old son vomited and is being sluggish after a fall from a chair. Why?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My 4-year-old son fell in his chair to concrete at about 10:00 AM (about 12 hours ago). He had a nice-sized knot pop up immediately. He cried a bit but seemed fine soon after. But as the day went on, he got sluggish. He took two different naps and was not playful at all. Then laid down about an hour ago, and right before he dozed off, he vomited. I gave him a bath, and he seemed lethargic but communicated competently. He is now sleeping, but I am concerned because of his weak and very sluggish manner. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I do not think it is anything major as the height of the chair may not be big. However, any concussion cannot be ruled out. As you said, he vomited once. It is better to take him for examination and get the imaging done if necessary.

I hope this was helpful.

Is it common to be unamused and sleepy after a head injury? He is talking fine, and I even worked a couple of smiles out of him by tickling him (to see how he responded). He says he is fine and that his head does not hurt. Kindly guide me.

#

As I said, it may not be a major one. I am only concerned when you say he vomited and he is sluggish. Usually, kids will have a relatively softer vault and do not cause major damage when they fall or get their head banged against a hard surface. His sluggishness could be due to injury or pain he had in the morning. To be on the safer side, consulting a doctor would be beneficial. Else can wait till morning to assess his site of injury and activity. If he vomits again, please take him to a doctor.

I hope this was helpful.

#

Please get back if you have further queries.

|