Q. Can the transmission of congenital glaucoma be prevented?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2020
Please need guidance
Actually my mother is blind and my family is partially blind. I have weak eyesight by birth and by birth Glocoma which was operated also I have nystagmus. My wife and i are planning to have our first child we don't want our child to suffer as well.
Now please recommend me something to pervert this transmission.
Also something for me as well.
Regards
#

Hi. I understand how difficult it is. There are few causes of blindness running into family. Congenital glaucoma is one of them which ultimately lead to vision loss if not treated in time and properly. Fortunately u were operated for same. I assume ur wife has healthy. It is better to undergo genetic testing to know to what extent disease is transimitted to offsprings. Once it is known, u can plan pregnancy. If transmission rate is high, can get prenatal genetic testing done to know if baby in womb is also affected. Suggest to consult ur glaucoma expert and genetists for detailed evaluation. Hope this helps. We can connect further if need be.

|