Q. Can the transmission of congenital glaucoma be prevented?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 07, 2021

My mother is blind and my father is partially blind. I have weak eyesight from birth. I operated my eyes for glaucoma after birth. I also have nystagmus. Myself and my wife is planning to have our first child. We do not want our children to suffer from it. Kindly recommend something to prevent having this transmission.

#

There are few causes to have blindness running in families. Congenital glaucoma is one of the causes that result in vision loss when they are not treated properly in time. As you have operated it, there is nothing to be worried. I assume that your wife is healthy. It is better to undergo genetic testing to know the extent of disease transmitted to offsprings. Once it is known, you can plan for pregnancy. If your transmission rate is high, do prenatal genetic testing to know whether the baby in the womb is affected. Kindly consult a glaucoma expert and geneticist for having a detailed evaluation.

|