Genetic Testing

Can two O positive blood group people get married?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have very good understanding. But, we have the same blood group that is O positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having same positive blood group could create problems for fut...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There are two major blood group systems and more than 400 minor blood group systems. The major blood group systems are ABO system and Rhesus system, which are important. In the ABO system, there is A, B, AB and O. While in Rh...  Read Full »

Is deaf and dumb problem hereditary?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a marriage proposal where the girl's father and his brother are mute and deaf. But, surprisingly the children are at good health without any issues. Can I go ahead to marry her? Are deaf and dumb hereditary? Kindly advice.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is always a small risk of having a child with deafness, even if there is no family history of deafness (1 in 1000). In this case, the risk would increase. But this would be dependent upon whether the girl carries the gene for deafness. So, precise risk can only be s...  Read Full »

How can the condition of HD chorea patient be improved?

Query: Hello doctor, My father aged 54 years is suffering from HD (Huntington's) chorea. The symptoms were visible eight years back itself, but we felt it is quite common and the days passed on, and the symptoms became more prominent. My father's elder sister also had HD chorea, and she passed away due to...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern, but unfortunately this is a progressive neurological disorder and there is no cure. It is genetic and it can be inherited in the patient's children. For this reason, I would recommend you and your brothers or sisters, cousins to perform th...  Read Full »

What are the tests to be done before marrying a close relative?

Query: Hello doctor,As suggested by most of the doctor marrying a girl with the same blood group will not cause any problems, in my case the blood group is A+ve. She is my maternal uncle's daughter. She is a close relative. Can our marriage create a reduced genetic pool? Can I marry the girl? Will I have k...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you want to marry within your related family, I would suggest that you get yourself and your fiance genetically tested to estimate the risks based on both your genetic profiles. This will greatly help you with determining the chances of the child having genetic de...  Read Full »

A 52 year old male is unable to walk due to nerve damage. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,My uncle is 52 years old. He had an issue when he was in his young age. His nerve got pinched and due to that incident, he is not able to walk properly. He has gone through so many tests recently. But we are not satisfied with the treatment. Please, clear whom should we consult.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all his tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that they indicate a possible genetic disorder which causes progressive paralysis. Unfortunately, there is no cure for these disorders as the brain cells and spinal cord cells...  Read Full »

My little child has ataxia, hypotonia, seizures, and dysphagia. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, My 16-month-old presents with intermittent limb weakness, hemiplegia, gait disorder, dysphagia, intermittent ataxia, brisk reflexes, seizures, and intermittent hypotonia. There are sudden bouts of alternating limb paralysis. There is sudden difficulty with balance and walking with fal...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  I have gone through the images which you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a fluid signal intensity and a short segment abnormality in the cervicothoracic part of the spinal cord which is likely representing a syrinx between C7 a...  Read Full »

I am afraid a possibly viable pregnancy has been prematurely ended. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I was given the hCG trigger shot on the 5th of last month after showing a good follicle in response to Letrozole. I first showed positive for pregnancy on the 19th of last month with an hCG result of 17. On the 2nd of this month, I had a transvaginal ultrasound with no visible gestat...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I am extremely sorry for your loss. I would like to put forth a few facts. Beta hCG is the pregnancy hormone which is produced by the baby and it doubles in 48 hours. So, if the level was 17 on the 19th, then it would be 34 on 21st, and so on. The ...  Read Full »

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to inform you that the low sperm count and high FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) are indicative of organic disorders of the testes. In other words, the parameters indicate the possibility of either a partial or a complete testicular failure. The geneti...  Read Full »

Is keratoconus hereditary?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 years old. I got my eyes checked recently and came to know that I am suffering from keratoconus. Both my eyes are damaged. I got my right eye treated and left yet to be done. I have done research on keratoconus and came to know that the cause of this disorder is unknown, but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Keratoconus is a genetic disease, and it depends on both the parents. As you did not show any inheritance, there may be chances that your kids will not show it. Moreover, your husband does not have it, so you are on a safer side. But there is...  Read Full »

Antenatal USG showed mild ventriculomegaly of fetus. What to do further?

Query: Hi doctor,My antenatal USG done at 20 weeks of pregnancy showed mild ventriculomegaly of 9.2 mm at the level of the atria of the lateral ventricles of the fetus. Also, I am having hypothyroidism with mild hypertension. The rest of the USG is normal. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My suggestion is to consult a fetal medicine specialist and gather further knowledge on amniocentesis to rule out any genetic issue. If the report of amniocentesis comes out to be normal, then there is no further concern. Hypothyroidism under control with medication is n...  Read Full »