Genetic Testing

How can the condition of HD chorea patient be improved?

Query: Hello doctor, My father aged 54 years is suffering from HD (Huntington's) chorea. The symptoms were visible eight years back itself, but we felt it is quite common and the days passed on, and the symptoms became more prominent. My father's elder sister also had HD chorea, and she passed away due to...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern, but unfortunately this is a progressive neurological disorder and there is no cure. It is genetic and it can be inherited in the patient's children. For this reason, I would recommend you and your brothers or sisters, cousins to perform th...  Read Full »

How to prevent the transmission of congenital glaucoma?

Query: Please need guidance Actually my mother is blind and my family is partially blind. I have weak eyesight by birth and by birth Glocoma which was operated also I have nystagmus. My wife and i are planning to have our first child we don't want our child to suffer as well. Now please recommend me some...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi. I understand how difficult it is. There are few causes of blindness running into family. Congenital glaucoma is one of them which ultimately lead to vision loss if not treated in time and properly. Fortunately u were operated for same. I assume ur wife has healthy. It is better to undergo geneti...  Read Full »

What does mild ventriculomegaly in the fetus mean?

Query: Hi doctor,My antenatal USG done at 20 weeks of pregnancy showed mild ventriculomegaly of 9.2 mm at the level of the atria of the lateral ventricles of the fetus. Also, I am having hypothyroidism with mild hypertension. The rest of the USG is normal. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My suggestion is to consult a fetal medicine specialist and gather further knowledge on amniocentesis to rule out any genetic issue. If the report of amniocentesis comes out to be normal, then there is no further concern. Hypothyroidism under control with medication is n...  Read Full »

Is there any test to determine the chances of a person having abnormal kids?

Query: Hi doctor, Can normal tests tell that a person will have abnormal kids or no kids at all? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry that I am not sure which test are you referring to? If you are referring to semen analysis, then unless the tests remain normal the likelihood of having kids is high. But, this test would not tell about the abnormality of kids. If you are referring to geneti...  Read Full »

Are bilateral congenital cataracts genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bilateral congenital cataracts with no other issues. My parents do not have them. Please let know the percentage of passing this to my kid? I knew that is autosomal dominant. But, what is the possibility of this to become familial? Is my kid 50 % prone to it?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends upon two factors. First we have to confirm whether it is genetic. There are many different reasons for having bilateral congenital cataracts. The second is the mutation itself; if one allele is affected and your partner does not carry the gene then the chanc...  Read Full »

Can two O positive blood group people get married?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have very good understanding. But, we have the same blood group that is O positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having same positive blood group could create problems for fut...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There are two major blood group systems and more than 400 minor blood group systems. The major blood group systems are ABO system and Rhesus system, which are important. In the ABO system, there is A, B, AB and O. While in Rh...  Read Full »

Is deaf and dumb problem hereditary?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a marriage proposal where the girl's father and his brother are mute and deaf. But, surprisingly the children are at good health without any issues. Can I go ahead to marry her? Are deaf and dumb hereditary? Kindly advice.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is always a small risk of having a child with deafness, even if there is no family history of deafness (1 in 1000). In this case, the risk would increase. But this would be dependent upon whether the girl carries the gene for deafness. So, precise risk can only be s...  Read Full »

What are the tests to be done before marrying a close relative?

Query: Hello doctor,As suggested by most of the doctor marrying a girl with the same blood group will not cause any problems, in my case the blood group is A+ve. She is my maternal uncle's daughter. She is a close relative. Can our marriage create a reduced genetic pool? Can I marry the girl? Will I have k...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you want to marry within your related family, I would suggest that you get yourself and your fiance genetically tested to estimate the risks based on both your genetic profiles. This will greatly help you with determining the chances of the child having genetic de...  Read Full »

A 52 year old male is unable to walk due to nerve damage. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,My uncle is 52 years old. He had an issue when he was in his young age. His nerve got pinched and due to that incident, he is not able to walk properly. He has gone through so many tests recently. But we are not satisfied with the treatment. Please, clear whom should we consult.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all his tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that they indicate a possible genetic disorder which causes progressive paralysis. Unfortunately, there is no cure for these disorders as the brain cells and spinal cord cells...  Read Full »

My little child has ataxia, hypotonia, seizures, and dysphagia. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, My 16-month-old presents with intermittent limb weakness, hemiplegia, gait disorder, dysphagia, intermittent ataxia, brisk reflexes, seizures, and intermittent hypotonia. There are sudden bouts of alternating limb paralysis. There is sudden difficulty with balance and walking with fal...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  I have gone through the images which you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a fluid signal intensity and a short segment abnormality in the cervicothoracic part of the spinal cord which is likely representing a syrinx between C7 a...  Read Full »