Q. I am having constipation and it is painful to pass stools. Is Enema advisable?

Dr. Albana Greca

I am constipated and I do want to pass stools but passing them is extremely painful. I took two laxative pills but they cannot work due to the fact that my stool is too hard to be passed. Tomorrow I was planning on buying an at home enema, since it is too late to go to a drug store, and two hours ago I developed fever and headache. Should I be concerned or wait to see if the enema or the suppository laxatives will work on me?

Do you have a question on Constipation or Enema?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Albana Greca

MBBS., MMEDSC
Family Physician General Practitioner

You should take an enema if one is not working then apply another adult enema. Applying olive oil on the anal area can help together with sitting on warm baths to help ease bowel movement. Should increase water intake. Take olive oil (1 full tablespoon) early in the morning. Take Psyllium or Prune fiber early in the morning. If altogether not working, then should see your physician.

Also Read Answers From: Constipation Enema

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Diabetes is not curable but controllable. The first line in the management of type 2 diabetes is lifestyle modifications. Fasting should not be higher than 110, postprandial should not be higher than 140, and HbA1c should not be higher than 7.5. My advice: Healthy di...  Read Full

Can chronic constipation lead to prostatitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have been suffering from bladder and lower back pain for about six months now. I have been to the doctor several times and each time the test was negative for infection. I used to get relief from symptoms once I take the antibiotics, but the pain will recur. I do no...  Read Full >>
Dr. Gopinath
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you suspect the symptoms might be due to chronic prostatitis or a similar entity chronic prostatic pain syndrome. It needs a per rectal examination. Per rectal examination is not that painful as you suspect. Urine culture after a per rectal examination will turn to ...  Read Full

What is the reason for constipation in children?
Query: Hi doctor, My child was constipated for the past four days. Our doctor gave enema and he passed his stools. Now, again, he is suffering from constipation. What is the reason?  Read Full >>
Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Constipation is a common problem in children. It is usually temporary, which is relieved by medications given through the anus. It might persist for a few days and suppository can be used to pass stools, instead of enema. Please take care of dietary habits, which can tri...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now