Q. What is the reason for constipation in children?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2020

My child was constipated for the past four days. Our doctor gave enema and he passed his stools. Now, again, he is suffering from constipation. What is the reason?

#

• Constipation is a common problem in children. It is usually temporary, which is relieved by medications given through the anus.
  • It might persist for a few days and suppository can be used to pass stools, instead of enema.
  • Please take care of dietary habits, which can trigger constipation. Give him more liquids, fruit juices like apple, banana. Avoid sugars, chocolates and junk. Give more fiber food like banana.
  • Train him to go to toilet daily morning as routine and make him to sit on the toilet.
  • If the problem persists beyond a few days, we recommend medications for longer duration like three to six months. Right now, symptomatically, it is temporary.

Diet.

Fiber diet and plenty of liquids.

Revert back after a week to a child health specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|