Q. I have been having constipation and floating stools from seven years. Can you help me ?

Answered by Dr. Babu Lal Meena and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Constipation or Irritable Bowel Syndrome? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 25 year old who weighs 75 kg, and my height is 165 cm. Seven years earlier, I had a fever and constipation for three straight days. The fever resolved but since then, I have abnormal bowel movements. I also had a distended liver, but that is normal now.

My stools always seem greasy and have an oily film appearance, and they always float. The color appears normal though. I am never able to clear my bowel at one go. Stool culture reports acidic stool with no other problems. I feel too gassy.

Although I do not have any abdominal pain, I do have a discomfort on the lower left side. I tried homeopathic, ayurvedic and allopathic medications. But something seems wrong

My USG is normal, with the most recent one showing distended gall bladder without wall thickening, but there is a tiny calcification on the right hepatic lobe.

Also, I have been diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease), which after two months of treatment is under control. Apart from that I have got vitamin D and vitamin B12. In spite of these issues, I have not lost weight.

In fact, I have gained a lot of weight, about 20 kg in the last seven years, and now stable at 75 kg. I have taken probiotics and Rifaximin course thrice with no success.

I have also tried Nizonide, three-day course. Initially, I got well-formed stools, but when the doctor prescribed it for the second time , I found no improvement. I do not know what it is, but I feels it is slowly killing me.