Q. How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Sep 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear and daily disposables. I am unable to find anything, especially for my right eye.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• It seems from your history that you are having a refractive error in the form of myopia and astigmatism. This requires a correction by concave lenses and cylindrical lenses. You can go for the prescribed glasses or contact lenses.
  • Coming to the choice of type of lenses for glasses, since you are having only one type of refractive error, you need mono-focal lenses.
  • Regarding the other specifications of the lenses, you can go for an anti-reflective coating, as this will reduce the glare during night time. If you want, you can opt for photochromatic lenses and these will become dark when exposed to sunlight.
  • If you want to go for contact lenses, you can go for soft contact lenses. Soft contact lenses will correct your refractive error. Since the cylindrical power is less than -1 dioptres, toric contact lenses are not required. Soft contact lenses will correct your refractive error in both the eyes.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you doctor,

Please tell me what power contact lens should I buy for both the eyes. Please specify the power that I will go and buy from the store and also the brand of contact lens if any.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• A refractive error of less than 4.0 dioptres does not need an adjustment for vertex distance. So, the same power as for spectacles can be used.
  • A cylindrical refractive error of less than 1.0 dioptres does not require a correction. Hence, in this case, you need to buy soft contact lens of -2.75 dioptres for both the eyes.
  • Kindly consult your specialist doctor and get the suggested lenses of a reputed brand available at your place.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

What is the best option other than glasses in case of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?  Read Full »

Is atropine recommended for progressive myopia?

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 6 years old. She has progressive myopia. She has a high spherical number in her right eye, which is -3.5 and left eye -1.75. She also has a constant cylindrical number which is -3.25 in the right eye and -2.25 in the left eye. According to her pediatric ophthalmologist, the ...  Read Full »

I have myopia. What can I do to reduce power and quit glasses completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old boy and I have myopia (2.5 approximately in both the eyes) and I am wearing glasses since two and a half years. Now, I am thinking to quit glasses. What best can I do to reduce the power and quit glasses completely?  Read Full »