HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)contact lensI want to buy a lens for my spectacle. Please suggest.

How to choose contact lenses for my power?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Dadapeer. K

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 12, 2017
Reviewed AtJanuary 24, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear and daily disposables. I am unable to find anything, especially for my right eye.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer. K


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It seems from your history that you are having a refractive error in the form of myopia and astigmatism. This requires a correction by concave lenses and cylindrical lenses. You can go for the prescribed glasses or contact lenses. Coming to the choice of type of lenses for glasses, since you are having only one type of refractive error, you need mono-focal lenses. Regarding the other specifications of the lenses, you can go for an anti-reflective coating, as this will reduce the glare during night time. If you want, you can opt for photochromatic lenses and these will become dark when exposed to sunlight. If you want to go for contact lenses, you can go for soft contact lenses. Soft contact lenses will correct your refractive error. Since the cylindrical power is less than -1 dioptres, toric contact lenses are not required. Soft contact lenses will correct your refractive error in both the eyes. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

Please tell me what power contact lens should I buy for both the eyes. Please specify the power that I will go and buy from the store and also the brand of contact lens if any.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer. K


Welcome back to icliniq.com

A refractive error of less than 4.0 dioptres does not need an adjustment for vertex distance. So, the same power as for spectacles can be used. A cylindrical refractive error of less than 1.0 dioptres does not require a correction. Hence, in this case, you need to buy soft contact lens of -2.75 dioptres for both the eyes. Kindly consult your specialist doctor and get the suggested lenses of a reputed brand available at your place.Hope the information is helpful to you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Dadapeer. K
Dr. Dadapeer. K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

astigmatismcontact lens

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy