Q. Can Althea cypriterone acetate ethinyl estradiol help in preventing pregnancy?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Due to an accident, I had unsafe sex. I went to the pharmacy to get a EPC or morning-after pill. However they said they were not being sold. They prescribed Althea cypriterone acetate ethinyl estradiol (2 mg / 35mcg tablet) from Trust and said to take 1 per day for the next 21 days. However if I understand correctly: Is this a normal contraceptive? I read some things about the yuzpe method, how would this work with the contraception described? And I already took one pill an hour ago. What should I do? I do not want to get pregnant. Especially since this is the 13th day since my menstruation, I am getting worried.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You should get emergency pills if they are selling normal contraceptive pills. Anyway in emergency pills the dose of hormones are more. So you can take 4 tablets two times a day for 2 dose. Can also works same as emergency pills. But at the same time you should understand that emergency pills are not 100 % safe and there is up to 30% chance of failure. But have only option after unprotected sex. When you stop taking tablets than there can be withdrawal bleeding within 7 days. And your cycle can be irregular for 1 or 2 periods if you are not pregnant.

Best way to confirm whether pills worked or not is to wait for 15 days atleast and do urine pregnancy test on kit and see. If turns to be positive than you are pregnant and if negative than pills worked well. Do drink more water. Chance of failure is because pills worked by stopping ovulation but if ovulation already happened than it will not work. So have to wait and watch after taking pills.

| 

Why have I not got withdrawal bleeding after 10 days of taking Unwanted 72?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex 10 days back and then took Unwanted 72 after four hours. I have not got any withdrawal bleeding yet. What does it mean? When should I take the pregnancy test? Also, I am a patient of PCOD.  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »

Took contraceptive pill one hour before sex. Will this prevent pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had intercourse a month back with a condom and also she had an emergency contraceptive pill. I bought it from a medical. They asked her to take it before one hour of intercourse. She had a regular period. Her last period was on 7th of last month but it is 11th of next...  Read Full »