Q. What is withdrawal bleeding?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Emergency contraception is 95% effective means is there some chance of getting pregnant? What more precautions could be taken during sex so that there will be full surety about it? After taking it, will the periods be painful? In what way will it alter periods? Will it change the number of days of period? And what is withdrawal bleeding? Will it be there immediately after taking it? Or after a day or two? When it will be 100% effective? Is there any other way to avoid pregnancy completely in unprotected sex?

#

I have read and understood your problem.

Yes, there is some chance of pregnancy. You can use condom, but there is no contraception 100% effective even after contraception-operation very small chance of pregnancy remains.

You can bleed any day after taking I-pill. There is no fixed rule it may take even 10 days and bleeding usually will be normal not painful. When bleeding occurs after stopping pill, it is called withdrawal bleeding.

Withdrawal bleeding rules out pregnancy. However, your next period may come early or late, so take precaution with adequate contraception.

Contraceptive pills can change your bleeding amount and cycle for one or two months.

It will be effective only after sex pill, not before sex. But, as mentioned above there is no 100% effective method.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will withdrawal bleeding assure that no more chances of pregnancy? Or when will we be completely sure that there are no more chances of pregnancy? May I know the way which will prevent pregnancy completely?

#

• If amount of bleeding is good then it rules out pregnancy.
  • Two negative pregnancy tests on 7th and 14th day after your expected date of period rule out pregnancy.
  • As mentioned before, there are no 100% effective methods. But, regular oral contraceptive pills have best success rates.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|