Q. Will taking contraceptive pill an hour before sex prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I and my fiancee had intercourse a month back with a condom and also she had an emergency contraceptive pill. I bought it from a medical. They asked her to take it before one hour of intercourse. She had a regular period. Her last period was on 7th of last month but it is 11th of next month now and till now she did not get her periods. She does not want to get pregnant now as she has her exams in a few months. She is doing heavy exercise like cycling, spot jogging, sit ups. And also she has taken two raw papayas, four pineapples and three times ginger syrup. I am sure that condom did not get broken.

My doubts are will she get pregnant? Is there really a pill available to be taken before intercourse. Is that pill true? What she can do further to get her periods? Can she take Probers tablet for getting it?

#

Stress plays important role in periods. She might be freaking out with the fear of getting pregnant, with exams on the head causing a delay in her periods. Please consider doing a pregnancy test, most likely, it will be negative, and that will help her relax. Periods will gradually occur. No need to worry. Yes, there are medicines for getting periods, but they might worsen her condition by causing mood swings, as she already has taken an emergency contraceptive.

Secondly, emergency contraceptives should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse, the earlier, the better effect. She has taken it quite early even before intercourse, so chances of pregnancy are nil.

|