Q. Will taking contraceptive pill an hour before sex prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 21, 2019

I and my fiancee had intercourse a month back with a condom and also she had an emergency contraceptive pill. I bought it from a medical. They asked her to take it before one hour of intercourse. She had a regular period. Her last period was on 7th of last month but it is 11th of next month now and till now she did not get her periods. She does not want to get pregnant now as she has her exams in a few months. She is doing heavy exercise like cycling, spot jogging, sit ups. And also she has taken two raw papayas, four pineapples and three times ginger syrup. I am sure that condom did not get broken.

My doubts are will she get pregnant? Is there really a pill available to be taken before intercourse. Is that pill true? What she can do further to get her periods? Can she take Probers tablet for getting it?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Stress plays important role in periods. She might be freaking out with the fear of getting pregnant, with exams on the head causing a delay in her periods. Please consider doing a pregnancy test, most likely, it will be negative, and that will help her relax. Periods will gradually occur. No need to worry. Yes, there are medicines for getting periods, but they might worsen her condition by causing mood swings, as she already has taken an emergency contraceptive.

Secondly, emergency contraceptives should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse, the earlier, the better effect. She has taken it quite early even before intercourse, so chances of pregnancy are nil.

| 

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »