Q. Does taking contraceptive pills before and after sex avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
Published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Theoretically abstinence is the only way to ensure that one does not get pregnant.
  • However, practically speaking there are many ways to avoid pregnancy. It ranges from using condoms to contraceptive pills to intrauterine devices to achieve longer contraception.

Can I know the contraceptive pill names which could be taken before or after sex? Does taking the pills before sex and after sex reduce the chances completely? Or just one pill is enough? Kindly let me know all the name and its dosages. Please guide.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You can take Unwanted 72 or I-pill, both before or after sex. They can be effective upto 72 hours. Taking it both before and after intercourse will not increase its effectivity. So, no point taking it twice. One pill should be enough. However, more than once a month is not recommended.

In fact one should use these pills only in case of emergency like failure of regular pills or condom breakage. If you intend on having regular sex, it would be better to use regular oral contraceptive pills like Unwanted 21 or Loette once a day daily for 21 days. Start a new pack from second day of next period.

Will I-pill tablet work if taken two hours after the act?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she had her period on the 14th of last month. On the 1st of this month, while having intercourse, unfortunately, the condom broke. She had taken I-pill within two hours. Can you please advise if the tablet will work or not?  Read Full >>

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. As you had I-pill, the chances of pregnancy are not there in your case. Delayed menses, if any, are due to hormonal imbalance caused by I-pill. Just wait and watch for your menses. For more information...  Read Full

Took unwanted 72 after having an unprotected sex. Will I be pregnant?

Query: Dear Doctor, I had unprotected sex. She took unwanted 72 within 12 hours. Will she be pregnant? In case she becomes pregnant, suggest any options other than abortion.  Read Full >>

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query at icliniq. You have taken emergency contraception as advised. That is very good. 99% of the times this will work well, but her menstrual period may be delayed. At this point you do not have to do anything. If the periods are delayed more than a week then you ha...  Read Full