Q. Does taking contraceptive pills before and after sex avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?

#

• Theoretically abstinence is the only way to ensure that one does not get pregnant.
  • However, practically speaking there are many ways to avoid pregnancy. It ranges from using condoms to contraceptive pills to intrauterine devices to achieve longer contraception.

Can I know the contraceptive pill names which could be taken before or after sex? Does taking the pills before sex and after sex reduce the chances completely? Or just one pill is enough? Kindly let me know all the name and its dosages. Please guide.

#

You can take Unwanted 72 or I-pill, both before or after sex. They can be effective upto 72 hours. Taking it both before and after intercourse will not increase its effectivity. So, no point taking it twice. One pill should be enough. However, more than once a month is not recommended.

In fact one should use these pills only in case of emergency like failure of regular pills or condom breakage. If you intend on having regular sex, it would be better to use regular oral contraceptive pills like Unwanted 21 or Loette once a day daily for 21 days. Start a new pack from second day of next period.

| 
1 out of 1 likes