Q. Have started my contraceptive pills on the third day. Would they be effective?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

I have started taking Novelon birth control pills from the third day of my period. Will this contraception be enough? This is the first time I am using the pills. Please advise.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Yes, this oral contraceptive pill is more than enough for contraception. Do not take any other medication as this will work as a contraceptive.
  • You may or may not experience slight nausea, abdominal cramping, lightheadedness and headache, but these will eventually settle down. It is because of the hormone present in the pill.
  • Most of the times it is very mild and goes unnoticeable. If you have symptoms and feel unbearable, then do consult your gynecologist.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you for the prompt reply. When I visited my OB/GYN, I was told that the pills would be effective only if taken from the first day. I just wanted to confirm if they would be effective even if I took it from the third day.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• We usually ask for the medication to be started from day 1 or 2 of the cycle for effectiveness. However, if you have started on day 3 also it is not going to make a significant difference.
  • So, relax and do not worry. Just continue taking the medication and be careful that you do not miss the pill, as it may lead to breakthrough bleeding.

|