Q. Does spotting after I-pill rule out pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

My wife started her last menstrual cycle on the 22nd of the previous month. We had protected sex on the 27th of the previous month. Unfortunately, the condom ruptured but, I was able to pull it out a few seconds before ejaculating. Just to be safe, she took an I-pill seven hours after intercourse. She had light spotting after a week which lasted for three days. It has been almost a month since her last period and she is not showing any signs of PMS. Is there any possibility of pregnancy?

#

I have gone through your query and understand the concerns.

I-pill has the usual side effect of delaying the next expected periods by two to three weeks. So, most likely her periods are delayed due to the pill.

I will suggest her to get a urine pregnancy test done if the periods are delayed. If negative, then she can safely wait for the periods for another two weeks.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Regards.

For more information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

Why does the spotting occur? Does it rule out pregnancy?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

• Spotting has occurred due to the withdrawal effect of the Levonorgestrel hormone in I-pill.
  • It is a sign that the I-pill was effective in preventing the pregnancy.

|