Q. Can a corona positive patient spread his infection to others after 14 days?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 02, 2021

My husband is 45 years old and he was confirmed with corona positive before a week. He is good now.

#

According to your statement, your husband became COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) positive recently. His RT-PCR (reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction) test showed a positive result. As it has been a week, he is still asymptomatic and so he does not require any treatment. If you want, he can undergo HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the chest, D-dimer, RBS (random blood sugar) to exclude COVID-19 related complications. Gargle with salt mixed with warm water for three to four times a day.

Before testing, he had a fever, cough with sputum, and headache. But for the past three to four days, he does not have a fever. He is feeling better now. Myself and my kids are staying away from him. He had sent us to our home town due to the pandemic. I am planning to go and stay with him along with the kids. Should I need to test him again? What are the precautions to be taken and when can we have a husband-wife relationship after recovery? I am planning to move in a week. Is it safe? Kindly suggest.

#

In asymptomatic cases, there is nothing to be worried about COVID-19. As you are planning to move in a week, tell your husband to repeat the RT-PCR test for COVID-19 again. After the completion of fourteen days, COVID-19 positive patients does not spread infections. So both of you can lead a normal life like others. There is no chance of you and your children to get infected with COVID-19. Before entering the home, tell your husband to wash the whole house with disinfectants like Savlon, Dettol, or hydrogen peroxide. He should repeat the RT-PCR test again. Keep in mind that COVID-19 infection is not like HIV, hepatitis B or C. COVID-19 has a particular period of spreading. An infected person can spread the infection only for fourteen days.

|