Q. Can a corona positive patient spread his infection to others after 14 days?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 02, 2021

My husband is 45 years old and he was confirmed with corona positive before a week. He is good now.

#

According to your statement, your husband became COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) positive recently. His RT-PCR (reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction) test showed a positive result. As it has been a week, he is still asymptomatic and so he does not require any treatment. If you want, he can undergo HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the chest, D-dimer, RBS (random blood sugar) to exclude COVID-19 related complications. Gargle with salt mixed with warm water for three to four times a day.

Before testing, he had a fever, cough with sputum, and headache. But for the past three to four days, he does not have a fever. He is feeling better now. Myself and my kids are staying away from him. He had sent us to our home town due to the pandemic. I am planning to go and stay with him along with the kids. Should I need to test him again? What are the precautions to be taken and when can we have a husband-wife relationship after recovery? I am planning to move in a week. Is it safe? Kindly suggest.

#

In asymptomatic cases, there is nothing to be worried about COVID-19. As you are planning to move in a week, tell your husband to repeat the RT-PCR test for COVID-19 again. After the completion of fourteen days, COVID-19 positive patients does not spread infections. So both of you can lead a normal life like others. There is no chance of you and your children to get infected with COVID-19. Before entering the home, tell your husband to wash the whole house with disinfectants like Savlon, Dettol, or hydrogen peroxide. He should repeat the RT-PCR test again. Keep in mind that COVID-19 infection is not like HIV, hepatitis B or C. COVID-19 has a particular period of spreading. An infected person can spread the infection only for fourteen days.

| 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Awareness and Prevention

Article Overview: With the most severe outbreak of recent times, COVID-19 has the entire world come to a standstill. This article discusses ways to prevent this infection and make the general public more aware of it. Read Article

Dr. Indhupriyadharshini
Infectious Diseases Specialist

Coronavirus disease (COVID -19) is a new viral disease, which is shaking the world and the medical field with a lot of challenges. As a lot of myths and rumors are revolving around this disease, I have tried to clear some basic things. We have some preventive measures that can help us and others fro...  Read Article

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Infectious Diseases Specialist Now