Q. I am more vulnerable to get coronavirus due to a weak immune system. Should I be self-isolating?

Dr. Peter Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I am 40 years old. Previously, I had glandular fever, shingles, and influenza. Now, I have Hashimoto's disease. I think that I may have a high chance to get infected with COVID-19 due to my weak immune system. Do I need self-isolation?

#

People above 60 years of age and people presenting with medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease have higher chances to get infected with COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2). People with thyroid disease and other autoimmune condition does not have an increased risk to develop viral infections. If you have mild symptoms of cough ad fever, then I suggest you be in self-quarantine and monitor your condition. I suggest you wash your hands regularly with alcohol, soap, and water. Practice social distancing.

|