Cough With Blood

Why do I have intercostal strain and blood in sputum?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I was diagnosed with an intercostal strain. The symptoms are pain in the area of strain and swelling. Unfortunately, I have developed a frightening symptom where I am coughing up blood coated mucus. My father who worked as an EMT says that it is not an emergency and that I sh...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood in sputum should not be ignored and should be taken seriously. The causes could be bronchitis, bronchiectasis, lung abscess, etc. High rate of cigarette smoking is the main underlying cause for the above mentioned pathological diseases. You have to undergo several ...  Read Full »

What are the causes of blood in sputum?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 55 years old. He is a patient having DM, CAD, CABG, HT, CKD and SHT. Now, he has severe cough for more than 15 days and can see blood occasionally while spitting. He is also undergoing dialysis twice in a week. His present hemoglobin is 8.1, creatinine is 4.6 and urea is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

Child Health Specialist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to cliniq.com. Your father has severe renal failure. The blood in cough could be due to many reasons. I think you need to concentrate on his dialysis. If blood in sputum continues, then we need to find out reasons for this by x-ray or CT scan. I do think you should not be w...  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurvedic medicine for persistent cough.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year woman. I read about ayurveda on the internet and would like to use it as a means to find a lasting cure for my health problems. I have been coughing for over 2 years now and cough up blood and also have pain on the right upper side of my back. I also experience dizzines...  Read Full »

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ayurveda Specialist, Yoga Specialist, Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to hear about ayurveda from you. But we cannot neglect chronic cough with blood. So, it is my humble request for you to visit a local physician immediately and get back to me with the reports like x-ray, blood test, etc.  Read Full »

I am coughing up blood in the mornings past three days. Should I worry?

Query: Hi doctor, I saw a blood streak while coughing into a tissue in the morning for the past three days, occurring only in the morning. I had a cold, but now I have just been coughing for the past 10 days. Please tell me if the blood I see is something to worry about or not. Also, I would like to know ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramkesh Prasad

General Practitioner, Preventive Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you have a blood streak while coughing and only in the morning. You have also mentioned that you have a cold. There are many possibilities as to what caused the blood streak with your cough. As you have been suffering from a cough, it is hi...  Read Full »

Does it require a medical attention when getting phlegm with blood?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner had phlegm with blood just now without coughing. He does not have chest pain and a fast heartbeat. Before a day, he also had a headache and hot temperature. Yesterday, he poked his nose with his finger at night. This morning, he had phlegm coming with a portion of blood. Does ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A possible diagnosis can be lung cancer. For it, your partner must be a smoker for 15 to 20 years or over 50 years so that he can spit blood continuously. If your partner does not have these conditions, then you must be calm. Respiratory tract infection can also be a ca...  Read Full »

Why am I getting blood through nose and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I had fever some 15 days back, which lasted for two days. Now, for the past few days, blood is coming out along with running nose. Also, I am getting blood through cough. I am not having fever now and feel normal. However, I feel that something oozing in the throat. Aro...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. As you have mentioned that there is blood in nasal secretion and cough and the chest x-ray is normal, I think this is related to the sinus infection. Many times chronic sinusitis can cause prolonged run...  Read Full »

I cough up mucus with specks of blood. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,The last few weeks I have been coughing a lot. Multiple times a day I will gag and cough up mucus. Sometimes it is clear and sometimes it is green with red specks in which I assume is blood. I have a pressure on my chest so breathing can be hard.  Read Full »

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and went through the attachment you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sometimes violent coughing can lead to specks of blood in sputum. You said that you have chest congestion and greenish sputum. That means you ar...  Read Full »

Is coughing blood be a serious concern?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having cough since 5 days. I have noticed little blood in my cough. I am worried about it. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Margi Barot

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know the following information in order to rule out other possibilities. As you have said you had cough. I would like to know more about your cough.Is it sudden onset or chronic? Is it dry or with sputum? Any similar episode in recent past? If yes, then an...  Read Full »

Does coughing blood mean lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I have reduced smoking. From past 30 days, I have only smoked maybe 10 to 12 cigarettes and trying to quit smoking. I had a dry cough but it was gone but sometimes I do a cough maybe three to four times in whole 24 hours. But while brushing my teeth today I was cleaning my tongue, I coughe...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Coughing up bloody sputum could be caused by many conditions like bronchitis, pneumonia, TB (tuberculosis), or lung cancer. Unfortunately, all these conditions are exacerbated by smoking. Your age, how much do you smoke and for how long? Have...  Read Full »

Is there any chance of lung cancer if there is spitting of blood with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor,If X-ray is clear and the person is having a good appetite and no fatigue but the person is spitting up blood with phlegm not always. Sometimes the phelgm is white and sometimes black and sometimes traces of blood in phlegm. No chest pain, no shortness of breath. Is anything to worry? I...  Read Full »

Dr. Harsha D S

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your issues. Coughing up blood can be a symptom of many diseases like throat or chest infection, tuberculosis, bronchiectasis (a disease where your windpipes are damaged) or lung cancer. A detailed history of complaints and your reports are needed to dete...  Read Full »