Q. Does spitting phlegm with blood is an alarming one?

Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero
Published on Oct 26, 2018

My partner had phlegm with blood just now without coughing. He does not have chest pain and a fast heartbeat. Before a day, he also had a headache and hot temperature. Yesterday, he poked his nose with his finger at night. This morning, he had phlegm coming with a portion of blood. Does it require medical attention? Does spitting phlegm with blood is an alarming one? Please suggest.

Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

A possible diagnosis can be lung cancer. For it, your partner must be a smoker for 15 to 20 years or over 50 years so that he can spit blood continuously. If your partner does not have these conditions, then you must be calm. Respiratory tract infection can also be a cause for having phlegm with blood. A headache and fever will also support the diagnosis.

Poking the nose with a finger can also be a cause for having phlegm with blood because blood can pass from the back of the nose to the pharynx. On considering the age, it is necessary to rule out malignant pathology. If the bleeding is not continuous, then there is no need to get tensed.

In addition to bleeding, if your partner has a fever, headache, and cough, then respiratory tract infection will be a probable diagnosis. You can consult a family doctor for evaluation and treatment. If there is a continuation of bleeding and if your partner is a smoker, then it is necessary to do a chest X-ray.

Is my sinus problem making me cough up bloody sputum?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female, who weighs 80 kg and I am 6.1 feet tall. I have a sinus problem and coughing up blood. The blood is bright red in color, and the sputum is white. I got treatment for sinus yesterday, and they gave me Betnesol and Levbrox. I also have pain in my colon. I am taki...  Read Full »

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

Is there any chance of lung cancer if there is spitting of blood with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor,If X-ray is clear and the person is having a good appetite and no fatigue but the person is spitting up blood with phlegm not always. Sometimes the phelgm is white and sometimes black and sometimes traces of blood in phlegm. No chest pain, no shortness of breath. Is anything to worry? I...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now