Q. I noticed blood in my cough. What should I do?

Dr. Margi Barot
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2018

I am having cough since 5 days. I have noticed little blood in my cough. I am worried about it. What should I do?

#

I would like to know the following information in order to rule out other possibilities. As you have said you had cough. I would like to know more about your cough.

• Is it sudden onset or chronic?
  • Is it dry or with sputum? Any similar episode in recent past? If yes, then any seasonal variation? Do you have fever or nasal stuffiness?
  • Is there any difficulty in breathing? Or some soreness of throat?
  • Any alterations in your bowel habit? Have you noticed black tarry stool?

My advice to you is drink plenty of fluids. It helps break up your congestion, makes your throat moist and will keep you away from getting dehydrated. Gargle with warm salt water. It moistens your sore or scratchy throat and brings temporary relief. Try half teaspoon of salt dissolved in a glass of warm water four times a day.

You can try OTC (over the counter) drugs like Chlorpheniramine maleate, Dextromethorphan and Cetirizine. If fever is present then have antibiotics like Amoxicillin or Moxclav (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). Do not worry. It seems like you noticed blood because of irritation or inflammation of your airways due to ongoing common cold or flu.

Revert back with the information to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

It is present for a week now. The blood is mostly after I coughed up. I think it is because of irritation as you said.

No, I never had similar episode before. I will try your medicines. I am already taking Rexcof syrup. Shall I continue it?

#

It is fine, you can continue with syrup. It has similar content which I asked you to use. Single episode of blood with cough as you have mentioned is not worrisome. It is due to irritation only. But, still I want you to be careful and if it persists then you should consult a doctor.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|