Q. I am suffering from chest pain and my chest hurts on smoking. Is this indicative of lung cancer?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am a 28-years-old male with 250lb. I have little pain in the chest when taking a deep breath, especially in the morning. I do not have a cough at all when I try to cough hard sometimes there is little tiny blood in my saliva, and my mouth tastes bloody. I keep smoking these two weeks a lot which I can see when I smoke a lot my chest hurts, but this blood thing is scaring me that I may have lung cancer. What should I do?

#

I can understand your concern. First of all, do not think directly about lung cancer because the possibility of it is very less. Possibility of other smoking-induced lung diseases like pleurisy, lung infection, bronchitis, etc. is more likely. So please let me know,

1. Since how long do you smoke?

2. How many cigarettes per day?

3. Do you have breathlessness?

Please reply to me answers of above-asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further.

I smoke for 10 years, yes I have breathlessness when I smoke a lot. I have a severe anxiety disorder, and one night, I read about lung cancer and how people with lung cancer cough blood. So I start for one week making my self put saliva from my throat sometimes there is tiny little blood, but when I put phlegm from my chest is not blood, but it is brown.

#

It will be better if you quit smoking as soon as possible. Have you ever undergone a chest X-ray? Have you ever experienced a PFT (pulmonary function test)? Both these tests are basic tests to diagnose any lung disease. In my opinion, you are having bronchitis. Please reply to me answers of above-asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further.

| 

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Can passive smoking cause SIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, I smoke, and I usually avoid smoking around other people. However, I work at a hospital, and I went outside the hospital, and I lit up a cigarette. I did not notice that there was a woman with a baby, and I stood near them smoking for quite a few seconds. Now I am worried that the bab...  Read Full »

I feel sudden chest discomfort and breathlessness. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. My height is 167 cm and weight is 75 kg. Over the past one week, I am having high discomfort and pain in my right chest when I breathe. The pain radiates to the right shoulder and right arm too. When I sneeze or blow my nose up, the pain is severe. I cannot explain this...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now