Q. Shall we give Levolin or expectorant syrup to treat our baby's cold and cough?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

My 3 year old baby is suffering with cold and cough. Our doctor suggested her Budecort and Asthalin. I am giving them for the last one week, but no improvement. Shall I give Levolin syrup?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

I would like to ask you a few questions before I can suggest you anything.

• Is the cough and cold associated with any fever? How is the cough, dry or wet or productive?
  • Does the child have any wheezing? Are you giving any other medication apart from nebulization?

Please provide me answers to the above questions, so that I can suggest you something.

| 

It is a wet cough with no fever. Apart from that, I am giving Monticope kid tablets. There is no wheezing.

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

#

If there is no fever, then no need to worry. This could be viral and may take another week to resolve.

Since it is a wet cough, I do not think Levolin (Levosalbutamol) will help.

I suggest an expectorant syrup like Ascoril (Terbutaline) thrice daily and an anti-allergic for cough like Sinarest AF (combination of Phenylephrine hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine maleate) twice daily for two weeks.

Also, I suggest saline nasal drops for preventing nose block. Nothing to worry as long as no fever, even if fever sets in, then I suggest Paracetamol to control fever.

Avoid citrus fruits and refrigerated food and drinks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

What can be done for recurrent cough and fever in a 5-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My 5-year-old boy has a cough for three days and today he has a mild fever too. He also has a runny nose and watery eyes. Last month also he had a viral cold infection. Can you please guide me what should I do? I am giving him honey. And he gets sick so much. And he has a runny nose almo...  Read Full »

Child Cough - Things to Know as a Parent

Article Overview: Most of the time, parents present their child before the pediatrician for the smallest breathing problem, which is a good thing. But sometimes, especially at the second or third episode, the parents miss out some earliest possible signs to pick up pneumonia. So, public awareness is necessary to alert every parent as when is the cut off to avoid a midnight rush to the pediatrics casualty and act earlier. Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Paediatrician

Act According to the Kid's Age Always remember that a slight difference in the breathing sound of a baby less than 2 months should alert every parent. Those babies are obligate nasal breathers. A viral infection in their nostrils may not start as a fever. So, always observe for fast breathing in th...  Read Article

Can antibiotics be given to a 3.5 month old baby for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3.5 month old baby is suffering from slight cold and cough for the past 15 days. The doctor suggested antibiotic syrup 3 ml twice daily. Xpect PD cough syrup 2.5 ml twice daily and Sinarest AF 10 drop twice daily. His weight is 7 kg now. When I am trying to give him cough syrup he is ...  Read Full »

Ask a Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist Now