Q. Shall we give Levolin or expectorant syrup to treat our baby's cold and cough?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

My 3 year old baby is suffering with cold and cough. Our doctor suggested her Budecort and Asthalin. I am giving them for the last one week, but no improvement. Shall I give Levolin syrup?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

I would like to ask you a few questions before I can suggest you anything.

• Is the cough and cold associated with any fever? How is the cough, dry or wet or productive?
  • Does the child have any wheezing? Are you giving any other medication apart from nebulization?

Please provide me answers to the above questions, so that I can suggest you something.

| 

It is a wet cough with no fever. Apart from that, I am giving Monticope kid tablets. There is no wheezing.

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

#

If there is no fever, then no need to worry. This could be viral and may take another week to resolve.

Since it is a wet cough, I do not think Levolin (Levosalbutamol) will help.

I suggest an expectorant syrup like Ascoril (Terbutaline) thrice daily and an anti-allergic for cough like Sinarest AF (combination of Phenylephrine hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine maleate) twice daily for two weeks.

Also, I suggest saline nasal drops for preventing nose block. Nothing to worry as long as no fever, even if fever sets in, then I suggest Paracetamol to control fever.

Avoid citrus fruits and refrigerated food and drinks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|