Q. Other than chest x-ray, what test should be done for cough?

Dr. Payas Joshi

I have attached an x-ray report of my 1 year old baby girl. The report was ill-defined haziness seen in the right perhilar and para-cardiac regions - pneumonitis. What does it mean? She has cough since last five days. My mom is suffering from active tuberculosis. So, x-ray was suggested and the consulting doctor is out of town for the next two days. What should be done next?

Do you have a question on Cough or Tuberculosis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Payas Joshi

MBBS., MD PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

I understand your concern.

• See as you said, your mother is suffering from active TB (tuberculosis), TB in the child should also be ruled out first.
  • It may be just pneumonia, but TB should be ruled out with some more investigations mentioned below.
  • Is the child gaining weight adequately? What is her present weight?
  • Was BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) given at birth? When was your mother diagnosed and when TB treatment started?

1. Mantoux test.
2. Complete blood count.
3. Gastric aspirate for AFB (acid fast bacilli).

An antibiotic should be given for seven days.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A chest x-ray is a routine part of any pre-employment checkup. Your query regarding reporting of x-ray as bilateral inhomogeneous opacities suggests old or active infection most probably tuberculosis. So, it is advisable to do sputum AFB test (acid-fast bacilli) to rul...  Read Full

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic cough for more than three weeks needs evaluation. I would recommend to check CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Mantoux test, chest x-ray, ECG and serum creatinine levels. Chronic GERD - gastroesophageal acid reflux symptoms...  Read Full

There is a neck swelling and Mantoux test shows 15 mm raised surface. Is it TB?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has gone for the Mantoux test and the report stated 15 mm raised surface. There is a swelling on the left side of the neck near the shoulder. Firstly we went to a homeopath because we thought that it is a stone. After 3 to 4 days it started paining after that we went to the ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. The swelling could be due to infective enlarged lymph nodes, reactive node enlargement or tuberculosis. You cannot rely on the Mantoux test. It is not the test for tuberculosis. To confirm tuberculosis and to rule out th...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now