Q. Other than chest x-ray, what test should be done for cough?

Dr. Payas Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I have attached an x-ray report of my 1 year old baby girl. The report was ill-defined haziness seen in the right perhilar and para-cardiac regions - pneumonitis. What does it mean? She has cough since last five days. My mom is suffering from active tuberculosis. So, x-ray was suggested and the consulting doctor is out of town for the next two days. What should be done next?

#

I understand your concern.

• See as you said, your mother is suffering from active TB (tuberculosis), TB in the child should also be ruled out first.
  • It may be just pneumonia, but TB should be ruled out with some more investigations mentioned below.
  • Is the child gaining weight adequately? What is her present weight?
  • Was BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) given at birth? When was your mother diagnosed and when TB treatment started?

1. Mantoux test.
2. Complete blood count.
3. Gastric aspirate for AFB (acid fast bacilli).

An antibiotic should be given for seven days.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|