iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPediatricscoughKindly suggest tests to be done for a cough, apart from a chest x-ray.

Other than chest x-ray, what test should be done for cough?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Payas Joshi

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 27, 2016
Reviewed AtAugust 13, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have attached an X-ray report of my one-year-old baby girl. The report says ill-defined haziness is seen in the right perihilar and para-cardiac regions - pneumonitis. What does this mean? She has cough for the last five days. My mom is suffering from active tuberculosis. So, an X-ray was suggested, and the consulting doctor was out of town for the next two days. What should be done next?

Answered by Dr. Payas Joshi


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. See as you said, your mother is suffering from active TB (tuberculosis), TB in the child should also be ruled out first. It may be just pneumonia, but TB should be ruled out with some more investigations mentioned below.

1.Mantoux test.

2. Complete blood count.

3. Gastric aspirate for AFB (acid fast bacilli).

I would suggest antibiotics for seven days. Is the child gaining weight adequately? What is her present weight? Was BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) given at birth? When was your mother diagnosed and when did her TB treatment started?

Revert with answers to the above questions.

Investigations to be done

Treatment plan

Regarding follow up

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Payas Joshi
Dr. Payas Joshi


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy