Q. Is it safe for children and pregnant lady to travel in a flight during COVID-19 pandemic?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2020

My partner is looking to take my 5 and 7 years old sons to Denver, CO from Orlando for a destination wedding in August. They will be flying, staying in multiple hotels, rental cars, participating in recreational activities in Denver, along with almost 20 other people that have traveled from Orlando to Denver. Orlando is a large COVID-19 hot spot and Denver has seen a recent spike as well, along with being in a safer at home order. There will be no be social distancing during the entire trip and will be indoors with them often as well. My youngest has a tree nut allergy that gives him an anaphylactic response, along with seasonal allergies that cause him to be congested and nasally more often than not. Is this trip in the best interests of the children's health right now? I am pregnant, will it be risky for me to come in contact with them upon their return as well?

#

I understand your concern.

COVID-19, the risk of spread of infection increases with being outdoor. Attending gathering and in associating with close contacts. Taking in account present travel and hot spots in cities. The risk of catching COVID-19 infection will be high. Though in children's majority of them have milder symptoms, but they can spread infection.

Pregnancy is considered to be an immunocompromised state and the risk of catching an infection is high. If you come in contact with other family members who recently traveled and having COVID-19 (even asymptomatic), your chance of getting COVID-19 infection will be very high. Best Policy to stay protected is to be indoor, avoid contacts, maintain social distance, and follow strict personal hygiene.

|