Q. What is causing raised blood pressure on going to hospital?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2020

I would like to consult regarding my situation, my blood pressure is normal but everytime I go to clinic or hospital I feel nervous so my blood pressure becomes high. Any recommendations or medication on this? Is it safe to go back to work while the COVID-19 pandemic is still on going?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. I would like to know some more details about your present problem. How many times have you checked your blood pressure in clinic and what was the range of BP? I mean how much it rises? Do you have any cardiac symtoms like chest pain, breathing difficulty on exertion or walking, palpitations, fatigue, giddiness?

Family history of hypertension? I would suggest you to get a digital BP apparatus at home and monitor your BP at home. If it is high at home also then you may definitely have hypertension and will have to be treated. Decision to work in COVID 19 pandemic depends on the place you stay, the number of cases you have around, the safety environment of your office and so on. But definitely has to be very careful and follow all safety measures. Kindly get back with above details for further discussion and management.

| 

Earlier, I went to our health center and they have me tested my blood pressure and the result is normal 120/80. It rises 140/80, but when checking my BP regularly on our house my BP is 130/80 or 120/80. As of now, I do not have any cadiac symptoms. Is it dangerous for me to go back to work if I had this condition or am I fit to resume work during this pandemic?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

#

Your blood pressure is not very significantly elevated. So you do not have to worry. From blood pressure point of view you are fit and can resume your work. But make sure you follow all safety measures and take all necessary precautions. If you have any addictions like smoking or alcohol, you must stop it completely as it may aggravate or increase your BP.

You should also keep a regular check of your blood pressure atleast once in a fortnight or so at home and keep a record of it. As may be in future if your BP remains persistently high say for example above 140 mmHg systolic blood pressure, then we may have to think about starting some medications for BP control. Start doing regular exercise and walking and also avoid extra added salt in your diet as it will help in controlling your BP. Can get back to me in case of any further discussion and query.

|