Q. My father stopped his regular Ecosprin and is on Eliquis four weeks post COVID-19. What to do now?

Dr. Zubayeralam

My father, aged 75 years, got COVID-19 infection one and a half months before and was in home isolation with Azithral, Doxycycline, Zinc, and Vitamin C. He had a fever after a week that, his condition deteriorated. He had gastric reflux, and he was vomiting and unable to eat. His HRCT score was 11, and after a week, he was on steroids Medrol 16 mg BD and Eliquis 5 mg BD. He stopped Medrol after ten days. His test reports show D-dimer- 0.39 mg/L. It has been four weeks since he is on Eliquis. Since birth, he has right bundle block and is having Ecosprin 75 mg OD as a blood thinner. As he is taking Eliquis, he discontinued Ecosprin. I want to ask whether he still has to continue with Eliquis?

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. Loss of appetite, weakness, etc., may happen during a viral infection like COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) more commonly. Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD and loss of appetite may result from COVID-19 associated complications or consequences. They will subside overtime on their own without any medications. I suggest Domperidone, Gaviscon antacid syrup, antiulcerants, and Lactulose (in case of constipation) for his GERD.

Eliquis contains Apixaban that belongs to the group of medications known as blood thinners or anticoagulant medications used in the treatment and prevention of blood clots in the body. Other blood thinner medications like Aspirin and Clopidogrel should not be used with Elliquis because these medications may interact with Eliquis and cause bleeding or bruising. Eliquis is recommended to use for one month in case of COVID-19 positive patients. In this period, no other blood thinners should be used with Eliquis, increasing the risk of bleeding tendency. As one month has already passed, your father can stop taking Eliquis and start taking Aspirin 75 mg once daily as before. Or, he can consult with his doctor before stopping Eliquis and starting Aspirin.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|