Q. I have purpura-like lesions and varicose veins. Is it safe to take the COVID-19 vaccine?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

I have small red dots on my torso, and I have a bruise-like thing on my ankle like purpura. It does not hurt but is looking purple. It has been there for years. I consulted a vein specialist, but they did not say anything. I have a varicose vein on my leg and broken capillaries since my 24 years. I recently got tested CBC and all my yearly tests and thyroid, vitamin panel. Everything was perfect. I am worried if I have a clotting issue. I recently had on my back and middle finger a blood blister that popped. It happened three times over three months a few months ago. Currently, I am taking Armour Thyroid 60 mg. I want to get a COVID-19 vaccine now, but I am a little worried because of this. Please help.

#

I hope everything is fine. Three red dots do not fulfill the definition of purpura there should be plenty. The bruise on the ankle also seems due to contact. Moreover, varicose veins are themselves causative of such small lesions due to blood pooling in extremities. However, if you send me your CBC (complete blood count), PT (prothrombin time), and PTT (partial thromboplastin time) reports, I would be in a better position to comment, especially regarding the COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) vaccination.

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching my latest test results including CBC. It would be better if you could review for COVID-19 vaccine.

#

I went through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). All your blood parameters are pretty good. Take an oral Iron and Folate pill 20 minutes before breakfast. Get vaccinated immediately as your results are good for that. All the best.

|