Q. My mother had an anaphylactic reaction to Penicillin. Can she get the Sinopharm vaccine?

Dr. Jebin Abraham

My mother had an anaphylactic reaction to Penicillin before. Local doctors have refused her vaccines Covaxin and Sinopharm. She previously had rashes after taking the soluble tablet Efferalgan (Paracetamol). We do not have the Covaxin vaccine anymore in my country, and I want to know if the ingredients in the Sinopharm vaccine are similar to Penicillin which could trigger an anaphylactic reaction? Can she get the Sinopharm vaccination?

#

It is better to avoid vaccination for her. Though it is not related to vaccine content, anaphylaxis risk is a serious concern. Kindly avoid any vaccine. Do not take second dose. It may cause a severe reaction this time.

Any vaccine can have the risk of a reaction. We can't predict. Ideally, it is not advisable to take any kind of vaccine once u get allergy to one type. Still, if ur local hospital is willing to take the risk, u can try sinophorm.Thank you.

|