Q. A person is allergic. Can he swim in the ocean?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

If a person is allergic to seafood, can they swim in the ocean? This person cannot touch seafood or have sea-salt either.

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

If a person is allergic to sea food and sea salt both, he should ideally avoid swimming in the ocean so as to avoid getting an attack of anaphylaxis (lethal allergic reaction) while under water. In my years of practice I have never come across any person with allergy to sea salt. It is usually the sea food which contains proteins, to which allergy occurs. Sea salt contains NaCl and KCl and other minerals which are usually inert and do not cause any reaction. However, to be on the safer side, avoid swimming if you are truly allergic to sea food and sea water.

| 

Can you go swimming with poison ivy rashes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have poison ivy rashes on various parts of my body with no open blisters. Can I go swimming in a creek? Thank you.  Read Full »

I swallowed a lot of water at the swimming pool and now feel sick. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I was swimming in a pool that had salt water in it. I went underwater and accidentally swallowed the salt water. It burned my nose and my throat. I woke up today dizzy and my throat kills and my nose still does. I keep coughing up mucus. I also keep sneezing. What should I d...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for severe eczema?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some questions regarding allergy. When I was a kid, I had eczema on my mid-arms. Then it went away. Some years ago, when I was around 22, it came back aggressively on my face, neck, and shoulders. Then I was referred to blood food allergy tests (IgE). A lot of allergens was de...  Read Full »