Q. A person is allergic. Can he swim in the ocean?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
Published on Oct 27, 2019

If a person is allergic to seafood, can they swim in the ocean? This person cannot touch seafood or have sea-salt either.

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

If a person is allergic to sea food and sea salt both, he should ideally avoid swimming in the ocean so as to avoid getting an attack of anaphylaxis (lethal allergic reaction) while under water. In my years of practice I have never come across any person with allergy to sea salt. It is usually the sea food which contains proteins, to which allergy occurs. Sea salt contains NaCl and KCl and other minerals which are usually inert and do not cause any reaction. However, to be on the safer side, avoid swimming if you are truly allergic to sea food and sea water.

Can you go swimming with poison ivy rashes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have poison ivy rashes on various parts of my body with no open blisters. Can I go swimming in a creek? Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query, and I understand your concern. No, please do not go in this condition for swimming otherwise, it will spread to others. Poison oak and poison sumac are plants that can cause an itchy rash upon contact. A substance called urushiol, found in these ...  Read Full

I swallowed a lot of water at the swimming pool and now feel sick. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I was swimming in a pool that had salt water in it. I went underwater and accidentally swallowed the salt water. It burned my nose and my throat. I woke up today dizzy and my throat kills and my nose still does. I keep coughing up mucus. I also keep sneezing. What should I d...  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello,Welcome in icliniq.com.I understand your concern. You are likely to have an acute upper respiratory tract infection, and associated labyrinthitis as you have vertigo. Now, you are advised to take: Tablet Paracetamol. Tablet Betahistine 16 mg thrice daily. Steam inhalation. Antihist...  Read Full

What is the treatment for severe eczema?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some questions regarding allergy. When I was a kid, I had eczema on my mid-arms. Then it went away. Some years ago, when I was around 22, it came back aggressively on my face, neck, and shoulders. Then I was referred to blood food allergy tests (IgE). A lot of allergens was de...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Yes, some food can cause urticaria and rarely angioedema like peanut and seafood allergies. 2. But, there is no significance of the test you have mentioned, as that is a very nonspecific kind of test and most of the people who get themselves tested found themselv...  Read Full