Can a person with sea food allergy swim in ocean?

Q. A person is allergic to seafood. Can he swim in the ocean?

Answered by
Dr. Sandeep V. Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2023

Hello doctor,

If a person is allergic to seafood, can they swim in the ocean? This person cannot touch seafood or have sea-salt either.



Welcome to

If a person is allergic to sea food and sea salt both, he should ideally avoid swimming in the ocean so as to avoid getting an attack of anaphylaxis (lethal allergic reaction) while under water. In my years of practice I have never come across any person with allergy to sea salt. It is usually the sea food which contains proteins, to which allergy occurs. Sea salt contains NaCl and KCl and other minerals which are usually inert and do not cause any reaction. However, to be on the safer side, avoid swimming if you are truly allergic to sea food and sea water.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have severe eczema on face, neck, and shoulders. What should I do to manage it?

Hello doctor, I have some questions regarding allergy ... Then I was referred to blood food allergy tests (IgE) ...   Read full

I swallowed a lot of water at the swimming pool and now feel sick. Please help.

.. your concern. You are likely to have an acute upper respiratory tract infection, and associated labyrinthitis as you have vertigo. Now, you are advised to take: Tablet Paracetamol. Tablet Betahistine 16 mg thrice daily.   Read full

Kindly guide me to find the reason for my allergy.

You can also consult an allergy specialist and undergo an allergy test ... Fever is a sign that your body is fighting against something in your body in allergy antib   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.