Q. I am obese and hypertensive. Please suggest tips to prevent contracting COVID-19.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My question is about COVID-19. I am very worried about this virus. I am 29 years old and my job is essential so I am still out in the field. I am overweight and take medications for high blood pressure including Lisinopril and Metoprolol. Everything I read said this puts me at way more of a risk for severe complications or death if I catch it. I am also worried about my children who are both under the age of two. Is there anything I should know or to help in preventing this virus or help not take a turn for the worse if I contract it due do being overweight and taking high blood pressure medications?

#

Certain important points that can be put to good use by you:

1. Wear a surgical mask or an N95 mask (it is a little suffocating) when you go out to work.

2. Make sure to not touch any part of your face, ears, or head after touching any object outside your house. If you have the urge to touch or scratch your face, please wash your hands with soap and water and then and only touch your face.

3. Push buttons and open doors and handles with the elbow or with the forearm or arm and not with the hand. That way your hand surface will not be contaminated for a long time.

4. Maintain social distancing (3 feet between two people) and no gathering of four people or more in a place for more than 15 minutes.

5. As soon as you reach home from outside, prevent your kids from touching you. Head straight to the bathroom, have a warm bath with soap, and keep all your clothes that you were wearing for washing.

6. Continue taking your medication on time as going on. Also, maintain a healthy diet.

I hope the above points help.

|