Q. I have a burning sensation in my throat for a week and no other symptoms. Is it COVID-19?

Dr. Mohammed Shah Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I have a burning sensation in my throat for the last seven days, and there are no other symptoms. Can I be affected by COVID-19?

#

I can understand your concern. As your area is facing more cases of COVID-19, it is good that you are seeking medical advice for your symptoms. First of all, I would like to say do not panic. The burning sensation in the throat can be due to some irritation that has caused due to especially cold things that you might have consumed as its summer, and drinking cold drinks, cold water, or ice-cream can cause it. Another reason for this can be nutritional deficiencies of some vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin B. So balance your diet with appropriate foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. Keep yourself well hydrated throughout the day. Make sure that you do not drink anything that is extremely cold. It should get better in a few days. Now, as you are worried if this is due to COVID-19, I would know if you have a recent travel history anywhere in or out of your country? Also, have you come across any COVID-19 patient recently? I also want to tell you that symptoms of COVID-19 are cough, fever, occasional sneezing. In your case, there is just a burning sensation in the throat, so do not panic and keep yourself healthy with proper food. Also, maintain social distancing as well as continue hand-washing before touching your face, eyes, nose when you come in contact with anything outside. If you get the above-mentioned symptoms in the future, then do visit your nearest COVID-19 test center. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me for any further queries in the future.

|