Q. What causes sweet taste after recovering from COVID-19?

Dr. Vitrag Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

I was COVID 19 Positive on 25th April 2020 while on 11th May 2020 my repeated test of COVID19 was negative. After that I feel all the time sweetness taste in my mouth upon that I myself went for blood sugar random and hbA1C, today on 15th May 2020 I received the results of my blood sugar random which is 92 while hbA1C is 6.

Please do advise any medication for it. My age is 45 years and weight 73 kg.

#

It is a great news that you recovered and doing well after COVID-19 infection. Considering the current medical reports, your HbA1c is suggestive that you are in pre-diabetic stage. And your fasting sugar is absolutely normal. You do not need to start any medicine for diabetes. Sometimes recent infection may also lead to high sugar levels.

Repeat tests after 1 month. And from now on I would suggest you adapt more healthier lifestyle choices. Good nutrition diet, regular exercises, quit smoking if doing are the basic ways. Take care of yourself.

FBS/PPS
hbA1C
Lipid profile
Vitamin D levels

?Pre diabetes

Healthy life style modifications.

Achieve 5 % weight loss from current status and maintain.

After 1 month with reports.

|