Diabetes is a metabolic disorder where there is increased blood sugar levels. It may be of type 1 or type 2. The early signs of diabetes include increased thirst, increased hunger and increased frequency of urination.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can Metformin help me in losing weight?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 37 years old. I have gained a lot of weight of late and my weight is 101 kg at 5 feet and 7 inches. I got all the tests done and I have a fatty liver and am pre-diabetic. Can I take Metformin for weight loss and diabetes? Can it help me in reducing the fatty liver? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are worried about your weight gain and being prediabetic. Remember, Metformin is a prescription drug, and it is your physician who can decide if it is needed for you or not. Metformin can be prescribed to prevent diabetes (type II diabetes onset) if pr...  Read Full »

Should blood pressure be controlled for patients suffering from portal hypertension, diabetes, and hypertension post-COVID?

Query: Hello doctor, I am giving the medical history of my brother, who is 56 years old. He is presently suffering from hypertension, diabetes type-1, hypothyroidism, and portal hypertension in liver gastropathy. He has a cyst on his left kidney. He has been suffering from pancreatitis for the last 36 year...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. Actually, post-COVID hypertension is common; that is why the cardiologist is suggesting to wait and watch. I would suggest you do the same, and once his immunity gets stronger, then everything will be fine. He ha...  Read Full »

I am about to get married, but have an erectile disorder. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, I am about to get married and I have an erectile disorder. Should I take any medicine? Kindly suggest some remedy for the same.  Read Full »

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair. B

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, find out the reasons for erectile dysfunction by getting a physical examination with a urologist along with a blood test if necessary. Diabetes, thyroid dysfunction and other hormonal issues can alter your erection. So, at this age never take any m...  Read Full »

My grandmother, a diabetic for the past 45 years, has twisted nerves in her right leg. Is it varicose veins?

Query: Hello doctor,My grandmother has had diabetes since she was 45 years old. She is now 70 years old. Now on her right leg, her nerves are seen to be twisted. My friend said it is varicose veins. Will it cause any problems? She is not having issues with it. I am worried that it will affect her.  Read Full »

Dr. Hateem Hassan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to clarify your concern. Veins and nerves are two different entities. Nerves do not get visible to the naked eye. So if you can see some thread-like structure visible, that most likely will be a varicose vein. And it can rarely be dangerous, but most of th...  Read Full »

How do I control high blood sugar levels without taking any tablets?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been a diabetic patient for a decade now. My report result is postprandial 300 mg/dL. I have not taken any tablets. My height is 5 feet and 7 inches, and my weight is 50 kgs. How do I control diabetes? Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concern. Since the sugar levels are high, you need to start medication. I would suggest Tablet Glycomet (Metformin Hydrochloride) 500 mg twice a day after food for 10 days. Recheck blood sugar after a week. Consult your speciali...  Read Full »

There is a cyst in the retina for my father. Which medicine will be suitable for him?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 76 years old, has been diabetic for the last 25 years. He takes medicine and controls it within the range throughout. Around 20 years back, he had a cataract operation in both the eyes. There is no IOL. His eye problem started before two years. Due to which, there is bl...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see sub-RPE (retinal pigment epithelium) drusens and pigment epithelial detachment in both the eyes. There is also intraretinal cystic fluid. These findings are suggestive of wet age-re...  Read Full »

Why is my husband's sugar level consistently high despite taking medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has diabetes for the last 10 years. He is currently on Amaryl M1. He is living a sedentary lifestyle. For the past few months, the sugar level is always high despite the medication. The fasting blood sugar value was around 169, a week back. His other tests like triglycerides...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would suggest a stepwise approach. As the blood glucose level is not controlled on Amaryl M 1, increase the dose to Amaryl M 2 (Glimepiride and Metformin), one tablet in the m...  Read Full »

How long will it take to cure my mother, who is suffering from Hepatitis C?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 59 years old, with type 2 diabetes for the past 15 years. She is taking medications for diabetes, blood pressure and multivitamin Centrum Her diabetes and BP are under control. Before four months, she had severe vomiting, fever and body pain. We approached a hospital and did ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother is having hepatitis C, which if untreated can lead to liver failure and the treatment success rate is 95 to 99 %. The status of liver disease can be assessed by two m...  Read Full »

I cannot perform good sex after being diagnosed with mild diabetes and autoimmune disease. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My age is 47 years. I do not have any kids. Until the past two years, my wife and I had good sexual life. For past years I got mild diabetes and autoimmune disease. I cannot perform well in bed due to a short time erection. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. There are multiple reasons for your issue. The most common reason here is blood sugar and autoimmune disease. Stress and anxiety can also be the cause. These are my suggestions. Choose an appropriate place for sex with no disturbance Mak...  Read Full »

What does watery and foul-smelling vaginal discharge signify?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 31 years old and had her uterus removed 11 years ago. From then she never had the periods nor any discharge. It was all alright until a month ago. She had suddenly started experiencing waterlike vaginal discharge which is little smelly, and it hurts in stomach sometimes. When s...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there were few more facts about your aunt regarding the indication for uterus removal, any follow-ups, diabetic status, her sexual life, etc., would have been helpful. At the age of 31 years, the most probable cause is an infection. I put forth the possibilities a...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.