Q. I am not vaccinated for COVID yet due to my medical condition. How can I protect myself from getting infected?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

I have not yet been able to get vaccinated. I have MCAS and never successfully received a vaccine in my life. I am attempting to get my Pfizer shot this month with an allergist. I have MS, asthma, and a disabled 9-year-old. I am the only unvaccinated member of my house. I do not leave my home except for a walk. Even then, I never walk out without a surgical mask. I sometimes wear double surgical masks, and I am now switching exclusively to N95 masks. My child is homeschooled, and my husband works from home. We do not socialize except once a month at a park with a family of fully vaccinated and masked friends. We have not been to a home or allowed anyone in our home for the past two years. We wash our hands and disinfect high-touch areas without fail. If I can never be vaccinated, I need to know if I am doing everything else right. I am extremely worried; please help me with suggestions if I have failed to follow any of the universal precautions and COVID safety.

# Hello,

I understand your query.

In situations where you are not able to get your vaccinations done, I suggest you,

1) Follow strict social distancing.

2) Wear an N95 mask while going out, and make sure you never pull it down while you are outside.

3) Follow strict hand hygiene by not touching your mouth, nose, and eyes without cleaning your hands with either hand wash or an alcohol-based hand rub.

4) It is always good to take a bath immediately after returning home and wash your clothes with detergents.

5) Keep the things around you clean, including your phone.

6) You can wear polyethylene gloves while going out or while shopping.

7) Consume food rich in zinc, flavonoids, protein, vitamin A, C, and D3 to boost immunity.

I suggest you get your vaccination done after consulting your allergist.

Take care.

|