Q. Can I give Zinc to my son for loose motions?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My baby is 14 months old. He has been suffering from loose motion for the past six days. I have given him Zinc sulfate, but not found any improvement in him. Please suggest me something for him. Whatever he is eating, he has to go through loose motions. At night, he started crying a lot. Please help me.

#

• The treatment with zinc is good, but it may take up to seven days for results to take place as zinc helps in improving digestive power. However, please do not give any medicine for stopping the loose motions as it is infectious matter and needs to be drained.
  • Till then, I suggest you to give 100 mL of ORS (oral rehydration salt solution) prepared as per instructions on the package with the passage of each loose stool to prevent dehydration.
  • Also, there might be abdominal pain, which may be due to indigestion. This can make the baby cry. I suggest syrup Colicaid 2 mL (Simethicone) when there is pain.
  • Another reason for the child crying can be that there may be rash in the buttocks. I suggest the use of Abzorb powder (Clotrimazole) for the same. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Please watch for lethargy, refusal to feed, dehydration, blood in loose stools and convulsions. If such is the case, then it requires urgent admission to the nearest hospital.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|