Q. My BP is high, and I am taking Montek LC for allergic rhinitis. Can I get the COVID vaccine?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 31, 2021

I measured my BP, and it is around 130/90 in different readings. I am a bit anxious these days, so not sure if the raise is because of that. I am due for my COVID vaccination tomorrow. Also, I have allergic rhinitis for the last four years and taking Montek LC as and when there are allergy symptoms. Is it safe for me to take vaccination? Please give your opinion.

#

Your mild elevated BP (blood pressure) of 130/90 might be because of anxiety, as you mention. This range of BP is not contraindicated for COVID vaccination.

Is your allergic rhinitis controlled with Montek LC (Montelukast with Levocetirizine)? Do you have any symptoms related to COVID infection?

If you are normal and symptom-free, you can get your vaccination.

Calm yourself, do not let anxiety pour in too much. Feel free to ask further queries.

I do not take Montek LC daily. The average is twice a week. Yes, after taking this, I become symptom-free. I am not on any other medication apart from this. Also, do I need to check my BP, sugar, or any other parameters before vaccination? Please guide me.

#

Suppose you do not have diabetes, no need for a sugar test. Regarding BP, since you mention mild elevation, check it tomorrow before leaving for the vaccination site (although it is not contraindicated).

Do not be under so much anxiety. I suggest you get the vaccine tomorrow. I hope this was helpful.

|