Q. Am I vulnerable for a Crohn's disease flare-up due to work-related stress?

Dr. Rajesh Bansari
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020
Hi There,
I have a had Crohn’s Disease since I was 12yrs and I am 35yrs now. I have been off medication for over ten years and I have not had a flare up in about 5 yrs. I do still have bowel inflammation from time to time and I do have pain spasms occasionally in my lower right quadron of my abdomen that is starting to be come a concern. I haven’t had any testing done or a scope in about 5 yrs. I’d like to get check. But my more pressing issue is in my job I have been reployed to frontline work and would like know if I am at all vulnerable or at risk. And if so I need a note. I don’t want to have any further complications to my disease as it has been quite a journey to get where I am.
#

Dear, Welcome to icliniq

I can sense your concern and I know you had seen bad days during the illness. The good news is you are off treatment and still managing everything for a good 5 years.

I can understand that working on the front line makes things difficult but you are at equal risk as others are. Due to active medication, risk increases and you are off medication so nothing to worry about. But my concern is if your disease flares up due to stress or any minor infection, then your risk increases of course.

My advice to you will be:

1. Get some baseline workup that shows up about the activity of disease? Workup includes blood and stool test and possibly endoscopy.
  2. Stay calm and composed.
  3. Maybe your treating physician can write a note for you, it is always good to keep on back when you are already suffering from a chronic disease.

Thank you. Take care of yourself. Regards

Idiopathic

CBC/ Creatinine/ LFTs/ Albumin/Fecal calprotectin/ Stool DR

IBD

Stay calm

Avoid stress

| 

My mom is under stress and crying a lot. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is under stress, and she is crying a lot. Suddenly, she started making some noise repeatedly, she was not able to open her eyes, and she had trouble breathing.  Read Full »

How to differentiate between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6 year old daughter was born with tyrosinemia type 1. She had diarrhea and bloody stools for 10 days, a month back. She was tested for many things, and everything came back normal, except her calprotectin level was 1250 while she had loose and bloody stools. She was admitted and h...  Read Full »

I got bright red blood in rectum but there is no external hemorrhoids. Could it be anal fissure?

Query: Hello doctor, Bright red blood is coming from the rectum after using the bathroom. The rectum is also very itchy and no signs of external hemorrhoids. Rectum has been itchy for a while especially when wiping. Every now and again there is a light and spotty bright red blood. There was a little mor...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»