Q. Am I vulnerable for a Crohn's disease flare-up due to work-related stress?

Dr. Rajesh Bansari
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2021

I started to have Crohn's disease when I was 12 years old and I am 35 years old now. I have stopped taking medication for ten years and I do not have any flareup in the last five years. But I still have bowel inflammation from time to time and I have pain spasms occasionally in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. It concerns me a lot. I have not done any tests and have a scope. I like to check it soon. But my more pressing issue is in my job. I got redeployed to frontline work and would like to know whether it is vulnerable or I am at risk. I do not want to have any complications of my disease as it has been a long journey to reach where I am.

#

I can sense your concern and I know that you have gone through bad days during the illness. You are off treatment and still managing everything for about five years. I can understand that working on the front line makes things difficult but you are at equal risk like others. Due to active medication, risk increases and you are off medication, so there is nothing to be worried about. If your disease gets flared up due to stress or any minor infection, then your risk increases of course. Kindly follow my advice. Do some baseline workup that shows up about the activity of the disease. Workup includes a blood test, stool test, and possibly endoscopy. Stay calm and composed. Your treating physician can write a note for you. It is always good to keep on back when you are already suffering from a chronic disease. Thank you. Take care of yourself. Regards.

Your cause seems to be idiopathic.

Do CBC (complete blood count), creatinine, LFT (liver function test), albumin, fecal calprotectin, and stool analysis.

You seem to have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

Stay calm.

Avoid stress and stay calm.

|