Q. The crown and screw came out of my root canal treated tooth 8 days back. When should I visit a dentist?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Dec 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

I had a root canal done for a tooth, a couple of months ago. My crown came out 8 days back. I did not go back to the dentist, but now a screw came out my tooth. What does this mean? When should I visit a dentist?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

First of all, I would like to explain the treatment that has been done to your tooth according to the details provided by you:

• Your tooth has been root canal treated.
  • Root canal treatment is mostly done to a tooth when the decay has reached the innermost layer of the tooth (pulp), thereby causing tooth pain.
  • Root canal treatment may also be done due to other causes like fractured tooth (broken tooth) or non-vital tooth (dead tooth).
  • After the root canal treatment, the tooth will be reduced in size and restored with a crown (tooth cap).
  • When the tooth is damaged to a large extent due to dental decay, there will not be any support for the crown.
  • In this case, a screw called post is inserted into the root canal treated tooth for additional support for the crown.
  • The post is covered with the core build up, which is done with the dental cement, followed by crown placement.
  • This treatment needs review once in every six months, to check for crown dislodgement, plaque or calculi accumulation.

You have to get the screw and crown fixed back in that tooth else it might breakdown more and more. The screw was put in place after root canal treatment as your tooth was badly damaged and needed support to place the crown.

Since it has broken, it needs to be done again to prevent further damage of the tooth. So, visit your dentist immediately to save your tooth.

Revert back to a dentist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Do I need a root canal treatment compulsorily?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cavity in the tooth. The X-rays show it was small but when the dentist drilled the nerve got exposed and is telling me I need a root canal along with crown. He has put a temporary filling for now. How do I know if I need a root canal for sure?  Read Full »

Will root canal be done in a broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am meant to be having a root canal filling in one of my teeth. I have had it temporarily filled twice and now it has fallen out but it feels like there is only one side of my tooth almost like it has broken in half. Will they still do the root canal filling?  Read Full »

Why do I have pain after root canal treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I had minor tooth pain before and got a composite filling. Then, I had extreme pain and opted for root canal treatment. I had a root canal before three days. I feel extreme pain and my tooth is still sensitive to cold. Is it possible that the nerve was not completely removed? Also, it h...  Read Full »