Q. The crown and screw came out of my root canal treated tooth 8 days back. When should I visit a dentist?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

I had a root canal done for a tooth, a couple of months ago. My crown came out 8 days back. I did not go back to the dentist, but now a screw came out my tooth. What does this mean? When should I visit a dentist?

#

First of all, I would like to explain the treatment that has been done to your tooth according to the details provided by you:

• Your tooth has been root canal treated.
  • Root canal treatment is mostly done to a tooth when the decay has reached the innermost layer of the tooth (pulp), thereby causing tooth pain.
  • Root canal treatment may also be done due to other causes like fractured tooth (broken tooth) or non-vital tooth (dead tooth).
  • After the root canal treatment, the tooth will be reduced in size and restored with a crown (tooth cap).
  • When the tooth is damaged to a large extent due to dental decay, there will not be any support for the crown.
  • In this case, a screw called post is inserted into the root canal treated tooth for additional support for the crown.
  • The post is covered with the core build up, which is done with the dental cement, followed by crown placement.
  • This treatment needs review once in every six months, to check for crown dislodgement, plaque or calculi accumulation.

You have to get the screw and crown fixed back in that tooth else it might breakdown more and more. The screw was put in place after root canal treatment as your tooth was badly damaged and needed support to place the crown.

Since it has broken, it needs to be done again to prevent further damage of the tooth. So, visit your dentist immediately to save your tooth.

Revert back to a dentist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|