Q. My CT lungs present a ground glass opacity adjacent to the thickened bronchus. Is this serious?

Dr. Jebin Abraham

Before 3 years, i did a ct scan and found a 5 mm nodule on lower right lobe i repeat the scan in these 3 years, with no change is noticed but in this years scan report, they mAke reference to ground glass opacity i will post the the segment ftom tbd ct scan but i hav2 questions Is this serious And if god forbid need be is the area operable

See below ct LUNGS, AIRWAYS: Mild bilateral bronchial wall thickening. No definite bronchiectasis. Small solid 5 mm nodule in the right lower lobe is stable from 2 years back. No new suspicious nodule. No consolidation. Groundglass opacity adjacent to a thickened bronchus, may be inflammatory although appears more prominent, such as from 2 years, unchanged from more recent study. The ground glass opacity is on the left

#

The 5mm nodule seems to be stable and size is too small to consider a surgical removal. Ground glass opacity is probably inflammatory as it is in close proximity to a thickened bronchus. A followup Ct would be a good idea, if GGO involves a large area (will be better understood if we see CT films). As of now, nothing to be worried about.

I’m asking. General question if it’s inflammation why does it need to be monitored

#

Although rare, certain neoplastic changes look like inflammatory change in the initial phase. Especially when they are too small in size. But, this process takes only weeks to months time. Not years. So its better to keep an eye on it. But as I said, it is not a common thing to happen. GGOs and inflammatory changes are very common findings in Ct chest. Even in asymptomatic people. Usually they will clear up later. However, In some people, they stay like a scar for many years. Thank you

Thanks but according the results the inflammation is not changed from last year ct scan so I assume that is a good thing

#

Yes. For last 2 yrs it is consistent. In scars, temporary mucus accumulations can appear as radiological enhancement in Ct film, which can change its consistency now and then. But they dont progress in their extend. No need to worry

| 

Does CT scan go through lead aprons?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old female. I went to the hospital ER for hip or abdominal pain. They ordered a CT scan. During the scan, they used lead aprons on my breast, neck, and abdomen. Does the scan go through these aprons? They found nothing but a nodule on my lung. I am just wondering if it s...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now