Q. My CT lungs present a ground glass opacity adjacent to the thickened bronchus. Is this serious?

Dr. Jebin Abraham
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2021

Three years back, I did a CT scan and a 5 mm nodule was diagnosed on the lower right lobe. I repeated the scan in these three years. There were no changes noticed in it. But during this year, my scan report was shown with a reference about ground-glass opacity. I will attach the report soon. But I have two questions to ask you. Is this serious? Does this area need surgery? I am explaining the findings seen in my CT lungs. I have mild bilateral bronchial wall thickening. There is no definite bronchiectasis. A small, solid nodule of 5 mm remains stable in the right lower lobe. There is no new suspicious nodule seen. There is no consolidation. There is a ground glass opacity seen adjacent to a thickened bronchus. It remains prominent.

#

You have a 5 mm nodule on the lower right lobe of the lungs. It seems to be stable and its size is too small to have surgical removal. Ground glass opacity is probably inflammatory as it remains in close proximity to a thickened bronchus. Having a follow-up CT (computed tomography) scan helps a lot. It helps to know whether ground-glass opacity involves a large area. For now, there is nothing to be worried.

Why an inflammation needs frequent monitoring?

#

Though it is rare, certain neoplastic changes look like inflammatory changes in the initial phase especially when they are too small in size. But this process takes only weeks to months to show its changes. So it is better to have an eye on it. But it is not a common thing to occur. Ground glass opacity and inflammatory changes are some common findings observed in CT chest even in asymptomatic people. It will get cleared later. In some people, they stay like scars for many years.

According to my results, inflammation remains unchanged for more than a year. So I assume that this is a good thing.

#

Yes. It remains consistent for more than two years. Temporary mucus accumulation can appear as a radiological enhancement in CT scans. It can change its consistency now and then. But they do not get progressed.

|