Q. Does CT scan go through lead aprons?

Dr. Chitrangada

I am 32 years old female. I went to the hospital ER for hip or abdominal pain. They ordered a CT scan. During the scan, they used lead aprons on my breast, neck, and abdomen. Does the scan go through these aprons? They found nothing but a nodule on my lung. I am just wondering if it saw my abdomen since the apron was over it. I have a bulge in my left abdomen.

#

The lead guards used during scan prevent harmful radiation effects to your thyroid, ovaries, and breast and hence are used as protection. These aprons do not obliterate the radiations and all the organs covered are visualized minus the harmful effect of X-rays.

For the bulge, it can be a small hernia or a lipoma. So you can go back and discuss the area of concern to your radiologist consultant and they would be glad to help I guess. Or else if possible, upload the scan here and I will have a look at your scans for you.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|