Q. For cylindrical power of -0. 5 and -1. 25, should I wear glasses all the time?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2021

I have a cylindrical eye power for ten months. Initially, my power was -0.5 in my right and -0.75 in my left eyes. But now, in my right eye, there is an eye power of -0.5 on an axis of 180 and in my left eye, there is an eye power of -1.25 on an axis of 180. Do I need to wear glasses all the time? Can I wear lenses? Can I go for Lasik surgery? My eye power gets increased within five to six months. Is it possible? I feel uncomfortable even after using specs. I am using eye drops due to dry eyes in my left eye. I feel uncomfortable in my left eye with a power of -1.25. Is there any natural treatment that helps to reduce my eye power?

#

First of all, a cylindrical change from -0.75 to -1.25 will not occur and most probably it occurs due to interobserver variation. Usually, a refractive error will not show changes after 20 to 22 years of age. As you are 27 years of age, there is very little chance to have some changes. A change of -0.5 can be seen between two exams taken on the same day. If you feel comfortable with glasses, then you can use them. As there is a very small error, you can do tasks even without glasses. You can use lenses. Lasik (laser-assisted in situ keratomileuses) surgery is not advisable for these small numbers. Even after doing it, you can have an error of -0.5. So do not go for surgery. You are almost normal without glasses. If you are not comfortable with -1.25, then you should use -0.75 again. There is no diet or food that corrects the refractive error.

|