Q. Other than specs, is there any option available to correct my cylindrical eye power?

Dr. Skandha Harshita
Published on Nov 10, 2018

I have done an eye test recently, and I found that I need a cylindrical correction too. Earlier I used spectacles only with spherical correction. My test results show 6/18, -1.25 DC × 95, 6/6 and 6/9, -0.25/-0.75 × 75, 6/6. I would like to know whether my eye power is too weak. Is there any other way available to correct cylindrical power?

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The cylinder power is low, and there is nothing to worry. As there is astigmatism, the glasses have to be worn at all times. You do not need to wear glasses if you do not have symptoms like eyestrain or a headache. But if you have eyestrain and headache, you need to wear glasses. The power is low, so surgical treatment is not necessary. Contact lenses work very well, but for astigmatism, there will be mild discomfort in contact lens users. For a cosmetic concern, contact lenses can be worn after a proper fit.

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full »

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full »

My contact lens has dried out. Can I use it?

Query: Hello Doctor, I did not use my contact lenses for two weeks. When I opened the lens case after 2 weeks, my coloured (monthly) lenses had dried out. One of the them seems to be a little smaller. Can I use it?  Read Full »