Q. What causes dark and foul smelling urine?

I have had every STD screen known to man and kidney function tests, my urine is foul smelling and dark. This has been an ongoing issue for a year and it has started to affect my life. I have tried everything. Antibiotics, hydration, douche, apple cider vinegar, AZO pills, yeast infection drugs, UTI drugs.

#

Foul smelling and dark urine is indicative of cystitis with highly concentrated urine. If there is no blood or hematuria then renal pathology is unlikely or calculus. You need to take at least 3 to 4 liters of water daily and foul smell is often vaginal and not in urine. You may be suffering from bacterial vaginosis causing a foul smell. Avoid using soaps in the genital region while bathing, use vaginal alkaline washes.

|