Q. Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Feb 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture test for UTI.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection).

UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes.

Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduced by increasing foreplay before intercourse which will increase lubrication.

If increasing foreplay alone does not help, then you can use any lubricant to help with pain during intercourse. You can use simple coconut oil as a lubricant too. It should reduce dryness and pain.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Should I take an emergency pill if I only had foreplay?

Query: Hello doctor, I had foreplay with my partner yesterday. We both were having some fun. He actually inserted a finger into my vagina though not deep. He was not sure if he had touched his precum or not. Also, his penis touched my vagina two to three times though he never inserted. Should I take an I-p...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. It is highly unlikely that the insertion of the finger can result in pregnancy even if it was contaminated with precum because precum does not contain sperm. So, I do not think you need to take an emergency contraceptive pill. For more inform...  Read Full

How can I manage dry vagina and anxiety related to intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I have endometriosis and was under medication Endoreg 2 mg twice a day for 5 to 6 months. Since marriage, I have pain during intercourse, and anxiety related to that. I do breathing, and positive affirmation exercises to do it. Now, I want to plan a child, and the ovulation count is al...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Apply Lox 2 % jelly (Lidocaine) over penis of the male partner. It will provide lubrication for both of you, also will decrease the pain. It will not affect fertility. Use tablet Etirest (Etizolam) 0.5 mg at night (half an hour before intercourse). It will decrease anxi...  Read Full

My sister is suffering from severe vaginal pain. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I need an opinion regarding my elder sister. She is 52 years old. She is diabetic and is suffering from severe vaginal pain for the last few weeks. While collection of pap smear, the swab was bloody and it was very painful for her. She is currently using Candid cream and Candid V6 tablet ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reports of both pap smear and tumor markers are within normal limits and rules out any malignancy in terms of possible cervical cancer. However, the pain in vagina and blood tinge at her age, where she is likely menopausal, could be due to atrophic vaginitis. ...  Read Full