Q. Please suggest some good shampoo for dandruff.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Feb 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2019

I am having problem of acute flaky dandruff and also itching in my hair. I have tried Topisal, Nizral and various other shampoos as well. However, there is no respite from dandruff. Please suggest me some good mediation as well as shampoo and oil. Currently I am under sugar and BP medication. My height is 5'6' and my weight is 80 kg.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through your complaints.

You should start with shampoo containing Salicylic acid and Ketoconazole. Use it every alternate day in the beginning. Once you notice improvement gradually taper it to twice weekly and then once weekly. Along with this apply, Clotrimazole and Betamethasone combination lotion on the affected areas of the scalp twice daily.

I also recommend you to take tablet Ketoconazole 200 mg once daily in the morning and tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at bedtime. Continue this treatment for two weeks and revert back.

1. Immune factors
2. Hormonal factors
3. Fungal infection

Seborrheic dermatitis.

Avoid oiling of scalp as it will increase your dandruff.

Thanks for the advice. Please suggest a good brand name for the shampoo. Are Clotrimazole and Betamethasone lotion a separate one?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You can try Salisia KT shampoo which is a combination of Salicylic acid and Ketoconazole. Clotrimazole betamethasone lotion comes as single medicine in the name of Candid B lotion.

Related Video

What is Fourderm cream used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I am working at a steel industry. So, due to excess heat in the workplace I always have a lot of sweat in private areas. I consult a doctor for the infection. He prescribed me Betadine powder to use and Fourderm cream. Is it helpful?  Read Full »

Suggest ways to fade acne marks apart from laser treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have used Benzoyl peroxide gel for my acne and it has almost cleared. But, the acne left some red marks and blemishes on my cheek. I wanted to fade that redness on my skin. In the past, I used Epiduo gel. Please suggest me a product and guide me to remove that redness without laser ...  Read Full »

Please help me with my itchy scalp.

Query: Hi doctor, I have itchy scalp and have started losing hair. Can I get help on this?  Read Full »