Q. I have minor patches on my head that has resulted in dandruff and hair loss. Please help.

Dr. Maya Halabi Tawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2021

I am facing some hair skin issue that is very irritating and affects my daily life as it becomes the cause of lack of confidence. There are white patches on my hair skin, not on the whole head but minor patches in front of the head and on one side. These patches are also generating much dandruff. Also, sometimes when I scratch that area, it creates a wound. It also causes hair loss, but the primary reason is a white patch that does not look cool. I do not regularly use oil but only three times a week. I use shampoo for my hair only once a week.

Please suggest to me some tips remove these white patches.

Thank you so much.

#

From the photograph (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), this looks like seborrheic dermatitis, which is caused by a kind of fungus. You can try Ketoconazole shampoo three times a week for one month, then taper progressively. You need to make it foam and leave it on your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing.

Oiling the skin with coconut oil for at least one hour before using the shampoo can help.

|