Q. My face became dark after using Melacare cream. Please help.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

I had used Melacare as per doctor's advice for a couple of years, which ruined my face completely. When I stop it, my face becomes completely dark. I had then consulted a new doctor, and he prescribed some Kojic acid composition creams and sunscreens, and nothing worked.

I have pigmentation on the face, upper eyelid, ear, and black neck as well. My body color is brown, but the face becomes completely dark with pigmentation.

I am proud of my color, but these pigmentations with scars ruined my confidence, and I am fed up. May you please advise if there are any strong and best solutions available.

#

I have seen your photograph and medications used (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Because of Melacare, your skin has damaged, and it will take some time to return to normal. So keep using sunscreen and do not lose hope. The creams such as Demelan Kojic are very safe, but you should use them for long durations.

Coming to scars, no cream or medications work in scars. You need to go for procedures like laser or microneedling so scars can be improved. With laser also scars can be improved maximum to 50%.

Can you suggest me a cream for a while? Since it is lockdown time, I cannot be able to visit the clinic. Is there any cream for upper eyelid pigmentation and black neck and also sunscreen and vitamin tablet?

#

You can use Photostable sunscreen gel. It should be applied at least 30 minutes before going out in the sun and repeat if you are exposed to sun again after three hours.

For eye pigmentation, apply Melalumin under eye serum daily at night.

|